CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

flushing the heater core

dmsfresh

Disconnect the inlet and outlet hoses. Adapt a garden hose to the heater core outlet hose and direct the heater core inlet into a bucket. Turn on the water and let it flow through the core. You can use your hand to block off the drain hose to create back pressure to aid in flushing the core.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 1 month later...

I have been having the same problem with our 2003 CTS in that the driver's side has no heat and plenty on the passenger side. I have used white vinegar as a flsuhing agent but with no pressure beyond improvising a gravity feed using standard heater hose to the inlet and outlet sides. I have reversed flushed and forward flushed and collect the outflow in a seperate bucket then filter it prior to recirculating it through the "system".

It has improved at times as a lot of dark red and lighter colored particles are collected in a simple funnel filter I am using.

I will try the garden hose flush with a more conventional radiator flush product and see if it cures our problem. The white vinegar (acetic acid) seems to be a good low cost solution, but I am wondering ow effective it is without the pressure to scour the stuff that has settled in the core bottom.

Whiy not drill a small outlet on the bottom of the core and fit it with a plastic valve? This would allow a drain for the stuff without pulling an otherwise good core and replacing it.

I have been having the same problem with our 2003 CTS in that the driver's side has no heat and plenty on the passenger side. I have used white vinegar as a flsuhing agent but with no pressure beyond improvising a gravity feed using standard heater hose to the inlet and outlet sides. I have reversed flushed and forward flushed and collect the outflow in a seperate bucket then filter it prior to recirculating it through the "system".

It has improved at times as a lot of dark red and lighter colored particles are collected in a simple funnel filter I am using.

I will try the garden hose flush with a more conventional radiator flush product and see if it cures our problem. The white vinegar (acetic acid) seems to be a good low cost solution, but I am wondering ow effective it is without the pressure to scour the stuff that has settled in the core bottom.

Whiy not drill a small outlet on the bottom of the core and fit it with a plastic valve? This would allow a drain for the stuff without pulling an otherwise good core and replacing it.

Check for codes its possible you have a bad actuator

DO NOT use the vinegar again, do you know how it reacts with the coolant?, could it create an acid?, no need for the vinegar at all, just use a water hose

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Whiy not drill a small outlet on the bottom of the core and fit it with a plastic valve?

Should be little need for this and I would not do it.

I too would not bother with vinegar. Pressure is what you need. If that doesn't do it, then that's probably not the problem.

Drilling a hole in the core to install a valve is begging for problems. I would be concerned that it would let go and puke coolant inside the car - at the most inconvenient time.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Drilling a hole in the core to install a valve is begging for problems. I would be concerned that it would let go and puke coolant inside the car - at the most inconvenient time.

Kevin, when would be a convenient time? ;)

Kevin, when would be a convenient time? ;)

:lol::lol::lol: You're right - there wouldn't be a convenient time. :D

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived