CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

92 eldo keyfob

davedog

I finally found some extra keyfobs for my 92 eldorado. The dealer wants $65 to program ONE! Is this something I can do myself, and if so, what are the steps to do this? THANKS!!! :D

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Found this on the old board, but I think it said it was for a 95 model. Will this work for mine? If not, what are the instrutions for my 92 eldo?

"With the ignition key on, ground the wire near the trunk pull

down motor. I think it is green with a connector on the end of

it. You may have to dig for it a bit but its easy to find. You

should hear the locks cycle when grounded. Press any button on

the first fob, listen for a cycle and then press a button on the

second fob, again listen for a cycle. You must do both fobs at

the same time, or one fob twice in order to complete the

programming. Unground the wire and try both fobs."

:blink:

I read something about a "remote #1" and "remote #2". I bought a pair, does it matter which one I program with my current working remote?

I read something about a "remote #1" and "remote #2". I bought a pair, does it matter which one I program with my current working remote?

Remote 1 & 2 refer to the memory for seats, mirrors etc. If your current workable one is #1, then use #2 and vice versa assuming you bought one of each.

Where do you guys dig up all this bad info?

The '92 does not 'see' a #1 or #2 remote. Also on '92s remotes were a option. They were standard on the '93s.

The '92s used a Delco remote. The '93s and latter used a ALPS unit. They may or may not be interchangeable.

The Delco remotes are loooong gone. Any you find will be beat.

The wire is not green. Its a black wire with a white stripe. It is taped to the harness near the trunk pull down.

The ALPS units have a part # that ends in either a 729 or 734. They are interchangeable.

MAX is 2 remotes per car.

The procedure is .....ground the trunk wire with the key on. Press the unlock on the first remote twice in 1 second intervals. Repeat with the second remote. You only have 30 seconds to program both remotes.

THANK YOU LOGAN!!

I appreciate everyone's help, but it is nice to get some concrete info on how this all works. THANKS!

Now I just have to wait for my remote to arrive.....it was a very hard remote to track down. As I understand, it is very rare.

ff_1.JPG

Wonder if the battery in the remote goes dead if you have to re-program also?

You dont have to. It is the car that needs to learn which remotes to respond to.

BTW I programmed my new remote today. Thanks for the help guys! :D

-Chris

Where do you guys dig up all this bad info?

The '92 does not 'see' a #1 or #2 remote. Also on '92s remotes were a option. They were standard on the '93s.

The '92s used a Delco remote. The '93s and latter used a ALPS unit. They may or may not be interchangeable.

The Delco remotes are loooong gone. Any you find will be beat.

The wire is not green. Its a black wire with a white stripe. It is taped to the harness near the trunk pull down.

The ALPS units have a part # that ends in either a 729 or 734. They are interchangeable.

MAX is 2 remotes per car.

The procedure is .....ground the trunk wire with the key on. Press the unlock on the first remote twice in 1 second intervals. Repeat with the second remote. You only have 30 seconds to program both remotes.

We're all here to learn!

The remote shown in the posted picture....IS the very, very rare Delco remote. I have one here, but it sat in the rain etc with the Seville decklid we have for LED test fits.

I think I have seen maybe 1 or 2 of these on eBay over the last 5 years. Very rare remote.

what would you say, logan, that a used working one of these is worth?

The dealership wanted $160 for one new keyfob, but I have found somewhere else....

just curious. I have one working unit that came with my car - but I am trying to make a spare set. Just wondering what kind of deal i'm about to get. ;)

I havent checked....but do you mean to imply that the Cadillac dealers still have 1992 Delco remotes available? That would be bizzare...Most parts after about 7 years go aftermarket.

If I had a '92....with the Delcos. I 'think' that a latter '93 RKE module would maybe work...with the latter easily available ALPS remotes. But that would have to be looked into.

Also....as mentioned. The '92 remotes were a option rather then standard equipment. Delcos...VERY RARE....and thats from a guy who use to sell replacement remotes!

Well, I asked the guy at my local dealership, and he said they had some in stock and that they were $160...now I never actually saw one....got scared away by the price.

I just bought a pair of used working ones off e-bay for $41.00 with shipping. I only need one, but I thought this was too good a deal to pass up! :D

Archived