CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Wipers quit working

Chris

Hey guys,

Last week the wipers quit working. I was on a long highway drive (~500mi) and the rain subsided after a while. Since they were not working, I left the wipers on full-speed setting. Later in the day, i put on the highbeams and found that the wipers worked, but only when the stock was pulled towards me.

The next day, the wipers would not work at all. The fuse is ok, and I don't believe that the motors are running.

Sounds like a wiring issue to me - also, about 2 months ago, the cruise control stopped working (didn't set any error codes). I suspect the two are related.

So my question is, what should I do? Do you think new turnsignal/wiper/cruise stock would fix the problem? Any way I can properly diagnose this?

Thanks

Chris

-Chris

Connect a test light (12v bulb) to the wiper motor connector. If light turns on when you turn on the switch (ignition is on), replace the motor. If the light does not turn on, something is wrong with the switch (most likely).

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

You probably can find and track back an electrical problem OK. A factory shop manual would be a good thing to have for the schematics, and to have on hand for DIY maintance of an old car. EBay usually has them around, and Helm, Inc. sells them new on demand for a price.

Often, but not always, a bad connection, a short, a sticking or bad relay, or a fuse will cause the OBD system to store a diagnostic trouble code. Read the codes and post them here. Here's how to read them:

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

adallak: I will test the motor on the weekend, but because the wipers were intermittantly working based on position of the turn signal stock, i think its electrical

Jims_97: All the fuses are ok, and no new codes have been set. The only history codes have been there for years (RSS). I'm hoping to get an 03 STS in early 2010 so trying to make this one last into the winter :)

Thanks for the advice, I was hoping this would be a common problem (though I searched the forum to no avail) and would have a generic "oh you probably just need to replace XXXXXX" response :D

I'll post back with whatever I find.

-Chris

Sorry I didn't get around to posting sooner, but the wiper motor is getting no voltage.

Because the cruise went out at around the same time, I figure its a problem with the turnstock. Looked online and it appears that this is actually multiple separate switch units as opposed to one integrated wiper/cruise/turn signal lever module.

Do you guys have any more advice? I may be able to access AllData, i assume that would help me see what the problem may be, but not sure I can use it yet.

Thanks again

-Chris

Archived