CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Birthdays coming up!

Bentham

My b-day is coming up and a radar detector is at the top of my list. Which one of the two should I go for.. ie, which is better? :)

Valentine or Passport?

-Eric

Eric

93 Cad Seville 100K

95 Chev Blazer 143K [garaged summers] :)

You have to remove it from the visor before the cop pulles you over... ;)

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

You have to remove it from the visor before the cop pulles you over... ;)

Just aint worth the hassle plus there really is nowhere you can go fast enough to need it! B) I think this is the only state on the eastern seaboard were there illegal

The V1 can't be detected by the radar detector detectors. I don't really speed (at least not more than 10 over) but I like to know when I'm being watched....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The V1 can't be detected by the radar detector detectors. I don't really speed (at least not more than 10 over) but I like to know when I'm being watched....

I like to know too, when I had a detector a pickup with a camper shell pulled up next to me, he looks down I look up and see the state police patch on his shoulder!Bye Bye radar detector! He actually told me that is what he was out looking for he had lights in the grill and two hanging down in camper window funniest thing ya ever saw.

Joe

My b-day is coming up and a radar detector is at the top of my list.  Which one of the two should I go for.. ie, which is better? :)

Valentine or Passport?

-Eric

By the way, Happy Birthday!!

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Not considered illegal in New Jersey. It's illegal in New York State but I think that only applies to trucks over a certain weight class.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I don't understand why EVERY state doesn't make them illegal. I wish they were in North Carolina. You see, everyone here has one, and everyone thinks that a radar detector is their license to drive 100 mph on the Interstate, weaving in and out of traffic, and being completely safe from a ticket (we know that's not true). The #1 motivation for buying a radar detector, for most of the population, is so they can speed without being caught. Virginia is the only state I know of that's wise enough to at least make them against the law. Speeds on most Virginia Interstates (besides I-95) remain moderate, 75 mph max. North Carolina is all over the place, and the lack of police presence on the road makes it even worse.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

If every state that made radar detectors illegal would enforce 'keep to right except to pass' and make passing on the right illegal ..... then the otherwise random speed enforcement on limited access highways would make a bit of sense.

Forget the bit about radar detectors, the rest I will etch on my tombstone! Doesn't matter if rd's are illegal.

Not passing, keep right!

Detectors, good for some folks, but I've never used one.

I use "sponsors" or "pace cars" in front and watch my mirrors for anything overtaking, which is infrequent enough to make it work just fine.

However, just about a week ago, I did manage to make a NHP cruiser parked on the right-hand shoulder lite up everything he had for a few seconds as I came on him at about 88 in a 75. He stayed dark and in place as I went past at about 80. I really think they don't bother 4-door older Devilles, because the drivers just don't fit a "profile". If you're using seat belts and give'em at least some recognition of their presence, they will go looking for bigger fish. ;)

It was my fault, surely. I was "recruiting" a sponsor, by blowing past and then slowing down a bit over time like an ole, distracted geezer. This tactic deploys the male ego against itself, and usually results in a pace-car driver determined to stay ahead of that stupid red Caddy (at a distance of my choosing).

Detectors, just not fur me. :P

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

It's funny because I was once speaking with a news reporter who thought radar detectors "did the trick" in New Jersey.

Once that radar detector starts signalling an alarm, the driver slows down. Some cops I know like them for the same reason, they make the driver slow down.

But I guess this theory only works in an area where there's a lot of cops with radars like New Jersey which has the highest ratio of cops to civilians in the USA. (almost a police state ;) ).

Archived