CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Mileage per gallon

seabass

On average my dash reads 8mpg , is that normal or is there a fix. Car has 73000 miles and was tuned less than 2 years ago, someone I spoke to said it could be your o2 censors, I bought them from brasignton and never replaced them , actually I took them to get replaced but the mechanic broke the wiring on it and he paid for a new one , but he never did change it because it was a pain in the butt , the one that's behind the motor . Any ideas?

Seabass 93 STS.

On average my dash reads 8mpg , is that normal or is there a fix.

I would ask, does that match your actual mileage, or are you actually getting better mileage than that? Either way, for the computer to read a paltry 8 mpg, that's not normal. Have you checked for stored codes in the computer?

The mechanic who broke the wiring intrigues me. It sounds like after he broke the wiring, nothing got done about it. Is that O2 sensor still unplugged? I'd say that would account for at least some of your poor mileage.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I have never compared the read out with the actual tank of gas , computer could be wrong ? Actually we put back the old one( 02 censor ) and never been changed since, I guess no harm done in putting in the new one. I haven't read the codes in a long time I forgot how to access the codes , can anyone tell me how , I remember you hold two switches together simultaniously , but don't remember which ones ?

seabass 93 STS

off and warmer buttons.

highway or city miles? if you put display on "instant mpg", what is it displaying?

fill up, reset trip miles, drive till u r on fumes (HA) and do the math.

I must be lucky or something.Ever since i bought my sts i avg. 19-20.7 miles per gallon.34 miles a day to bring home the bacon.Chicago suburbs type driving.Not on any toll roads.WOT bursts of speed,about 3 to 5 a day.Just love the acceleration man wow!I understand how one could fall in love a cadillac.love my STS

I can't believe you are actually getting 8 MPG. Hell I used to get 10-13 on a 5000# '73 Eldo with 500 thirsty cubic inches. This time of year I am getting 24-25 MPG (mostly highway).

Check for a leaky FPR and/or injectors. If the O2 sensor is bad and reading lean I would think the PCM will be richening the mixture so it would also be worth verifying if the O2 sensor is working or not.

It's best when checking your gas mileage manually to calculate several fill-ups and take an average, just for the fact you will not fill up the same way every time (there's a little room for error each time you calculate).

First time: reset your trip odometer when you fill up. Next time you fill up write down the trip mileage and reset to zero (button above radio). Then write down the gallons it took to fill up (this is the number of gallons used to go the distance showing on the trip odometer.)

Then simply divide miles/gallon and you will have mpg for that tank. This works better if you let the tank go down to just a few gallons (less room for error)

I keep a little notebook in my '97 STS and record each fillup. On average I get 16-17mpg city and 22-23mpg hwy. and my calculations are fairly close to what the ODB says.

Fred

Archived