CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Oil Check

seabass

Check it after it's good and hot, shortly after you turn it off. Make sure you're on a level surface. A gas station fuel pad is a great place to check it.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Before you start the car.

Reason is the oil is mostly sitting in the oil pan at the bottom of the engine. You'll get a better idea on how much oil you have if it's mostly down there.

When you start the engine, oil is pumped up to the top to coat the valvetrain and pistons. Your oil level will be less if you take it while the engine is running. (not by much but it makes a difference). You can check it after the engine is warm and running, but keep in mind that there's still some oil not in the oil pan.

I always get a kick out of those quickie oil change shops when the show you your oil level right after they just added the oil and they have you start the engine.

One more thing...someone earlier questioned my experience/knowledge simply because I'm a new poster to this board. Easy...I'm a new Cadillac owner. But I'm not new to engines, especially high-compression, overhead cam engines. I've been racing and rebuilding Neon DOHC engines for years now. While I agree the Northstar is far more complicated and a much better engine than any 2.0 from DC, the concepts are still the same.

page six,

You need to check the Northstar's engine oil level when the oil is hot (engine off). If you check the oil level when it is cold, it will appear low and if oil is added to being the level to the full mark, it will be vaporized and sucked through the PCV system. This will make the engine appear to be using excessive oil.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

You can check it after the engine is warm and running, but keep in mind that there's still some oil not in the oil pan.

You should check it when it's HOT, preferrably just a few moments after you turn off the engine. The oil drainback occurs rapidly. If you check the oil level cold, it will appear low (since oil expands when it gets warm). This engine is particularly sensitive to overfilling the crankcase...the "proper" oil level is somewhere between the "ADD" and "FILL" marks on the crankcase, when the oil is hot. If the oil level is that high cold, it'll expand when hot, and much of the extra will burn off. You'll have to keep adding oil, and wonder why the car uses a quart of oil every 200 miles. :)

One more thing...someone earlier questioned my experience/knowledge simply because I'm a new poster to this board. Easy...I'm a new Cadillac owner. But I'm not new to engines, especially high-compression, overhead cam engines. I've been racing and rebuilding Neon DOHC engines for years now. While I agree the Northstar is far more complicated and a much better engine than any 2.0 from DC, the concepts are still the same.

Pagesix,

Welcome aboard. I beleive that was my post. I was not questioning your experience/knowledge because you are new to the board. I questioned it because it is in direct contrast to what a long time poster and GM powertrain engineer who was involved in developing the Northstar has told us. Don't take offense, none was intended. If you have other feelings about using 87 vs 92 octane I would love to hear you and Bbobynski debate it. I am always willing to learn.

I am always willing to learn.

Yeah, that's what we're here for! :) Let me also take this opportunity to welcome you to the board.

Search the archives. Read and learn.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived