CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What do you guys think?

Ive got a small rust problem in the upper right hand corner of the windshield. The guy at one of the local body shops shere told me to just forget it unless I wanted to have the whole top of the car cut off and a new rust free one put on for something like 2300 dollars. He said that rust repairs are worthless and it will likely be rusted out in a few months anyway! What am I going to do? Anybody know how to deal with this?

Get a "second opinion".

The "guy" is suggesting foot replacement for a bad toenail! :(

Rust (oxidation) does spread if unchecked (meaning all removed, neutralized and the starting point repaired).

If small is only near the window seal, then I can't see why they cound not remove the seal and get to all of the rust - from underneath in particular. The classic rust-control method is metal replacement, but there are some powerfull phosphoric-acid compounds (like Navel Jelly and Durco-something) that can polymerize the rust and really slow down further damage. Unfortunately, these over-the-counter and professional compounds do tend to damage paint, so the metal has to be carefully filled (Bondo) and re-painted - anyway.

Post a pic - to quantify what/where is "small rust". Living in Nevada, we hear about rust - but rarely get to see such a thing, kinda like something called a "tree".

Good luck :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Rust is never to be taken lightly. It's cancer, it spreads, rapidly.

The guy at the bodyshop mentioned something about taking off the entire roof. Is he saying that the rust has spread through the entire roof although it's only showing at the edge by the window?

I would look further into this. If it's just on the edge, get it fixed as quickly as possible before it continues to spread. It's hard work to fix it and a lot of bodyshops are lazy about doing that type of work. Just keep on searching until you find a shop who will do the work.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

what a crap....I hade exactly the same rost just up in the right corner of the windshield....it was just to fix it like you do with other rostproblems...dont rush when you do it ...and it is still looking good after a couple of years with no signals of showing new rost.....i wonder why it comes just there ,,,the rest of the car are in mint condition...good luck

I dont think I have ever heard of a roof panel being replaced....bunch of work.

It could be done. But I would be surprised...if there is even a service part available to do this.

Ive got a small rust problem in the upper right hand corner of the windshield. The guy at one of the local body shops shere told me to just forget it unless I wanted to have the whole top of the car cut off and a new rust free one put on for something like 2300 dollars. He said that rust repairs are worthless and it will likely be rusted out in a few months anyway! What am I going to do? Anybody know how to deal with this?

I know what he's talking about. I have exactly the samething and in the same place....upper right corner. I have yet to tackle this but i hear Extend works pretty well. I'll be checking into the other stuff suggested.

-kg

206,000 miles

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Same problem, have had it for about 5 years and it hasn't spread. You don't have to have the roof cut off and replaced. To properly fix it the windshield has to be removed and the headliner, then, the shop can grind out the rust, smooth it with some filler, prime, paint, clear and reinstall windshield and liner. That's it. The big cost is having to remove parts to get to the affected area.

I had a problem with rust bubbles all around the sunroof.. took it to the dealer and about 700$ later they repainted the whole roof and fixed all the stuff aroud the sunroof.. so there's no way they have to replace the whole roof for some rust.. the se guys can fix anything

Well one of the other shops said they could fix it for $125 not including the cost of the windshield. The other problem is that my car is pearl white and im told its very hard to match a little spot like that to the rest of the roof. For $125 the othe shop would just paint an area of the roof (front right corner of the roof arund the sun roof) He said it wont be perfect but it will look good. Actually what he said was "well ive been doing this for about 15 years and I havebt pissed off anybody yet." I can always appeciate a good sense of humor. Does this sound reasonable? Is it going to look right or stick out like a soar thumb? ALso how do i get a pic down to 64k so i can post it?

Hahah the spot is the least of my problems at this point. I let my dad take my car out a few days ago....guess what happened! Well its not so bad...just need a new mirrow...and paint ...and some trim....and some dents popped.......and the pssngr. power window doesnt work anymore :P

At least it wasnt his fault and insurance is paying for everything no deductable or anything.....oh yeah and my dads ok...i guess i never asked :)

$125 is a great deal. I'm sure he will match the paint as best as he can and I am assuming he is going to clear the roof after paint . Any quality shop can blend into a panel enough to match the paint enough where you won't notice it that much if at all, especially on the roof.

Yeah it sounded good to me as well. Yes he is going to clear coat after the paint. He said he would pull the windshield sandblast use a fibreglass? filler paint and all that jazz then clear coat. $125 not including the windshield. Whats the deal with that anyways. Is it likely going to break? Is there anything I can do to squeeze out from under a $350 piece of glass?

Archived