CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fuel Rail Repair?

maydog

Greetings,

My wife drove her vehicle (96 aurora) home last night and I could smell her car in the garage from the basement. After informing her on the dangers of driving the car reaking of gas, I went to look under the hood.

A pinhole had developed in a section of the tubing between 2of the injectors. The last few days have been terribley cold <-20f so that may have had something to do with it. Anyway I found a piece of nylon tubing and sliced it open lengthwise and fitted it around the hole, then I used a hose clamp with not too much pressure to hold it in place. I tested it and it works well enough to drive the car a few mile to a garage - I figure. It will probably fail when the engine compartment gets too hot.

I looked up the price of the rail online, dealers sell it for $200 and gmpardsdirect sells it for $100. I don't mind paying the price, but we really need the car before we can get it. I wonder if the original rail can be repaired on the car if one used new nylon hose.

Has anyone done this? I have tried replacing the hose before on the fuel feed line but the diameter was too small to fit over the metal lines. I ended up replacing that section with 30R9 hose.

I thought about using 30R9 hose on the Rail, but I am afraid that the hose clamp pressure would break the plastic injector sockets.

Any thoughts on the topic? Please let me know.

Thanks

I recall this subject being discussed on the old board. I seem to remember "someone"

saying that while GM's official stand is replace, do not repair (probably because of

liabilty), but a reliable repair can be made with fuel hose and clamps.

I was the one thatposted that to the old board. Pretty dagerous if ya ask me and pretty weak spot in an engine. Ford would go to hell for this but it is ok for GM to do it. And they don't seem to care. Add our complaint to the NHSTA. You can fix it with the regular type fuel line hose and two special clamps from a import car shop. These clamps are made for fuel lines, they are extra sturdy and clamp equally around the hose, thus preventing leaks.

My leak was between two injectors, so I just cut off the nylon hose with a razor, I bought about $1 worth of fuel line hose. (I could not get a seal with the High pressure stuff, I used regular fuel line hose) I put the clamps on and warmed the hose with a heat gun. Then I had a dab of oil on the barbs where the hose goes and in about 3 tries I got it!

Once I did it held just fine. No problems. I carry extra ose and tools in case it breaks, butthat was like 3 months ago and no problems yet. I just checked it today.

This repair is a bear! It is really hard to get that hose on! But it can be done. If you have a tool that hold hose, that does help! It's like pliers for hose. That is what helped me get it on.

The clamps you get at import shop will hold - others won't at all.

After the repair, and the test, put a dab of some silicone sealant on the clamps to keep them from backing off. And a Dab where the hose comes close to the intake to keep it from wearing there from vibration.

MC

I would not be happy with a fuel line repair in that area. The system is under about 40 psi+...which is quite a bit when your talking fuel.

NHTSA is looking at these failures right now.

NHTSA Action Number : PE03050 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A

Make : CADILLAC Model: SEVILLE

Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Year : 1997

Component : FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM:FUEL RAIL

Date Investigation Opened : October 30, 2003

Date Investigation Closed : Open

Summary:

ODI HAS RECEIVED 69 COMPLAINTS ALLEGING UNDERHOOD FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES, INCLUDING 6 FIRES. APPROXIMATELY TWO-THIRDS OF THE COMPLAINTS IDENTIFY THE FUEL RAIL AS THE SOURCE OF THE LEAKAGE. MANY OF THE COMPLAINTS DESCRIBE FUEL SPRAYING FROM SMALL HOLES IN PLASTIC SECTIONS OF THE FUEL RAIL ASSEMBLY. THE OLDSMOBILE AURORA VEHICLES ARE EQUIPPED WITH A 4.0L V-8 ENGINE AND THE CADILLAC MODELS ARE EQUIPPED WITH NORTHSTAR 4.6L V-8 ENGINES. THE VEHICLES ALL USE A COMMON FUEL RAIL. APPROXIMATELY TWO-THIRDS OF THE COMPLAINTS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED IN THE LAST TWO YEARS.

I would simply buy the GM placement fuel lines. You may be able to recover some money if the issue becomes a recall or special policy issue.

Thanks all for the replies,

I purchased a new fuel rail and it should be here in a matter of days. Until then, I am driving my in-laws 94 Voyager with bald tires. Lots of fun in the snow.

Once the old rail is off, I will try to repair it just to see if it works. The biggest problem I forsee is that the largest diameter nylon or rubber fuel injection hose I can find is 10mm, the tubing is definetly bigger between the injectors than the feed and return lines. If I could repair this with rated tubing, especially nylon, I dont think there should be any safety issue.

I will keep the reciept for the new rail in case the recall happens.

The instructions I found on replacing the rail includes removing the injectors. Couldn't they be popped off the rail and left in the engine?

Archived