CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1995 STS with '03 engine

found a 95 with engine redone in 03. Its described as "brand new in the box from dealer in 2003". I talked to the guy on the phone, the engine was $7000 and the job totaled around$12000 (cdn). The engine now has about 160-180k on it (kms). Would this engine still be a candidate for timesert/studs? Or would cadillac by then have done something to the head bolts? I can pick up the whole car VERY cheap this weekend and well... it might be cheaper than me repairing mine... It is a VIN 9 car, i assume the dealer would have made sur to replace the engine with another VIN 9.

A 95 engine I believe would be built to 95 specs, its not likely that they would have used the same bolts now in production. I think the bolts changed in 2000 and 2004, but I dont think that the 2000 change would have been introduced into that engine in 03.

More importantly, has the car been maintained since 03, it would have needed a coolant change in 2008

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

A 95 engine I believe would be built to 95 specs, its not likely that they would have used the same bolts now in production. I think the bolts changed in 2000 and 2004, but I dont think that the 2000 change would have been introduced into that engine in 03.

More importantly, has the car been maintained since 03, it would have needed a coolant change in 2008

from what was said on the phone, it may have at least one coolant change. Im going to see the car tonight at 5. He has all the service records, but the guy i talked to isnt the owner, the owner is his accountant i think.. anyway i did ask him that and mentioned its very important. Im under the assumption that if the headbolts are identical to what was designed in 95, the engine SHOULD still be ok if the mant. was done??

Another thing: ive been reading archives from this and another caddy site, ive read LOTS about swapping this engine. Looks like i need to change a couple parts but i should have everything i need. My car is very clean so i dont mind reusing parts. But i'd like to know: the front end is very lazy in mine, and this 95 has a lot of recent front end work done. Would complete cradle swap work? Can that even be done? im talking... take everything, everything between the struts including the engine. and swap it directly with mine. I just dont know if the 95 cradle will bolt direct to a 97, but it seems to me that would also be a lot less work....

That is great he has the records

Yes, coolant maintenance is important, but we have seen good coolant change maintenance and the head gaskets go bad anyway. It sounds like you have a nice car, and if you are getting it VERY cheap, it is worth the risk

160,000 Km equates to 105,633 miles, just about the mileage where the potential for the problem arises. Having the engine's coolant tested for combustion by-products would be a good idea, but if it runs well given that you are getting it VERY cheap, maybe its not necessary

If you are going to see the car, I would, check for codes, take it on a spirited ride with inclines, traffic, etc and ask them to allow you to START it COLD, watch for misfires cold. You can not change between 97 and 95 or visa versa, very different engines, struts are different also

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

That is great he has the records

Yes, coolant maintenance is important, but we have seen good coolant change maintenance and the head gaskets go bad anyway. It sounds like you have a nice car, and if you are getting it VERY cheap, it is worth the risk

160,000 Km equates to 105,633 miles, just about the mileage where the potential for the problem arises. Having the engine's coolant tested for combustion by-products would be a good idea, but if it runs well given that you are getting it VERY cheap, maybe its not necessary

If you are going to see the car, I would, check for codes, take it on a spirited ride with inclines, traffic, etc and ask them to allow you to START it COLD, watch for misfires cold. You can not change between 97 and 95 or visa versa, very different engines, struts are different also

If i cant swap a 95 engine into a 97 then its a no go anyway. I thought i read that the engine would swap 95-99 but maybe change intake with MAFs or something. All this time ive been looking for a donor car in the 95-99 year range. I swore i read 94 was the last year for the old engine.... And ya i knew the struts were different, mine being a 97 its a PITA.

i can get the car for under 1000, i havent negotiated yet, but i'd suggest 600-700 bucks isnt unreasonable (canadian). Im not interested in the car though, as it has over 400,000km's. Its the engine i wanted. They did say though that its a daily driver, so maybe ill take a look anyway. Might be worth scrapping and selling the engine heh.

There was a change in 1996 where the PCM DTC protocol went from OBD1 to OBD2. Your 95 is OBD1, your 97 is OBD 2. The engine controls are very different.

I am sure this is true for Canadian vehicles also, but I would do a check on that.

At the very least the PCM would need to be brought over, but it would not be able to communicate with the rest of the vehicle.

There was a change in 1996 where the PCM DTC protocol went from OBD1 to OBD2. Your 95 is OBD1, your 97 is OBD 2. The engine controls are very different.

I am sure this is true for Canadian vehicles also, but I would do a check on that.

At the very least the PCM would need to be brought over, but it would not be able to communicate with the rest of the vehicle.

so i assume swapping all my outer-engine parts/sensors etc onto that 95 engine is a NO. The block will have different holes and such.

so i assume swapping all my outer-engine parts/sensors etc onto that 95 engine is a NO. The block will have different holes and such.

May have answered my own question:

went to the scrap yard today for parts for my truck, and out of curiosity asked if they had any northstar's. They have a 95. I said a 95 is no good it wont work. He looked at me like i was on glue. I said... ok what... he said simply change the entire intake (keeping the one from my 97) and knock sensor (again from my 97) everything else will bolt on.

Rockauto part number: G2813C

MARSHALL Part # G2813C {Remanufactured {For Extended Warranty Information, See Related Parts}}

DOHC, ALUMINUM BLOCK AND HEADS, 1ST DESIGN TIMING COVER.ENGINE INSTALLATION GASKETS MUST BE PURCHASED SEPARATELY.

CADILLAC DEVILLE CONCOURS (1996 - 1997)

CADILLAC ELDORADO TOURING (1995 - 1997)

CADILLAC SEVILLE STS (1995 - 1997)

Havent decided 100% sure yet to take the chance, but i can get the 95 with an excellent engine and lots of good spare parts for 300 bucks. I went to the dealer and they dont even SHOW VIN 9 northstars for 94-95, only 97 up. They have VIN Y..

• 2 months later...

May have answered my own question:

went to the scrap yard today for parts for my truck, and out of curiosity asked if they had any northstar's. They have a 95. I said a 95 is no good it wont work. He looked at me like i was on glue. I said... ok what... he said simply change the entire intake (keeping the one from my 97) and knock sensor (again from my 97) everything else will bolt on.

Rockauto part number: G2813C

MARSHALL Part # G2813C {Remanufactured {For Extended Warranty Information, See Related Parts}}

DOHC, ALUMINUM BLOCK AND HEADS, 1ST DESIGN TIMING COVER.ENGINE INSTALLATION GASKETS MUST BE PURCHASED SEPARATELY.

CADILLAC DEVILLE CONCOURS (1996 - 1997)

CADILLAC ELDORADO TOURING (1995 - 1997)

CADILLAC SEVILLE STS (1995 - 1997)

Havent decided 100% sure yet to take the chance, but i can get the 95 with an excellent engine and lots of good spare parts for 300 bucks. I went to the dealer and they dont even SHOW VIN 9 northstars for 94-95, only 97 up. They have VIN Y..

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

Similar situation on hand here (Calgary ALberta) looking for an engine for a 95 STS Vin code 9 and wondering what will drop right in. Curious to find out how your swap went - anything further to report?

Regards,

Milo

about 7000k on the engine now. The swap is easy, but i've never done a job like this before. LOTS of minor repairs i had to do. I didnt run right for about a month, it was weak at high RPM, lots of codes. But it was all stuff we missed or didnt connect right. Shes a good runner now :)

I used my 97 intake, moved the knock sensor to intake valley, and had the exhaust custom cut to fit from the 95 engine / manifolds / down-pipe to the flex pipe back on my 97.

ah yes i've been neglecting. Its actualy only about 6200 km's. So less than 5k miles, havent even done an oil change yet. I had a LOT of probems until recently, most are fixed now. I get an engine light once in a while for 3 02 sensors, and an EVAP code when its idling on any surface tha isnt flat. But i just keep hacking away at it and it gets better and better. I still need to put in an air ride pump, and i have the ABS pump/module from the other car that i want to rebuild the pump half. Can't wait til thats done as i dont have first gear. Once those are done.... the only thing i have is to clean up some front end noise, likely control arm bushings or stearing box. Its completly driveable, actualy quite fun (i drive it like a rental...). Just the rear is kinda stiff because its sitting low. Everything else i want to do is cosmetic :) Maybe a paint job in the spring!

I also forgot to mention:

I bought the donor car for 500 bucks (cndn). Got a spare air ride pump which i broke :P A new power trunk motor, new power antena, 4 chrome STS rims :):):) and lots of other misc spare parts, and sold the old engine to a rebuilder for around 250 :) AND had fun running it over with a bobcat when we were done.

Archived