CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Water leak in cabin

Phillip

I took the back seat out of my 96 STS today and when I lifted the carpet I found the water. The underlay is like a sponge so I didn't notice it before but I was able to squeeze a couple of liters out of it without even going to the front seat. I have a sun roof. Has anyone experienced a leaky sunroof? Where else should I look?

I took the back seat out of my 96 STS today and when I lifted the carpet I found the water. The underlay is like a sponge so I didn't notice it before but I was able to squeeze a couple of liters out of it without even going to the front seat. I have a sun roof. Has anyone experienced a leaky sunroof? Where else should I look?

There's a drain for the sunroof, sometimes they get plugged up.

This thread might help: http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/lofiversion/index.php/t90.html

Someone that's experienced this issue might chime in, too.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Thanks for the link! I searched the archives, but didn't find this one. I will try the weedwacker cord to see if that helps. The car is in realy good condition with almost no rust, so this seems to be the most likely culprit.

If it is the rear drain, make sure that it continues through the floor to the outside and has not been pulled up to drain in the cabin.

I've done it from the TOP. Once you "Think" it's cleared out, see if it will drain. I've used a

"Knee Draining" (big) Syringe, to inject water into the drain opening...

rek

Well today I got home from a trip and found the car full of water. It must have had a quart of water on the floor. (the carpet is already out of it) I checked the sunroof and there is no water around the drains so I suspect that that is not the problem. The water is pouring in around the emergency brake pedal. I am thinking it must be around the windshield or perhaps a seam in the body. I have never seen a car leak this bad. We have received about 1 inch of rain and a good portion of it is coming into the car. Hmmmm.

Also, just for good measure, I slid the weed wacker cord into the front drains. I got about 4.5 feet down on both sides and it fetched up. I am guessing that I need to get another two feet to complete the job. Maybe I need a stiffer cord.

I'm having the same problem. My 92 STS smells of mildew, every time it rains. The carpets are ruined. I also have a moonroof. I get water around the right rear sail panel, and around the the switch to open the sunroof. I have cleaned the drains to no avail. Is this a known issue with these cars? I just want this to cease and get the ugly odor out of it. It's almost undriveable. Confused and frustrated.

I'm having the same problem. My 92 STS smells of mildew, every time it rains. The carpets are ruined. I also have a moonroof. I get water around the right rear sail panel, and around the the switch to open the sunroof. I have cleaned the drains to no avail. Is this a known issue with these cars? I just want this to cease and get the ugly odor out of it. It's almost undriveable. Confused and frustrated.

In that case the drain tube may be disconnected.

The drain tube typically dumps out in the rear wheel well. remove the lining in the trunk, and you will see a tube running down each rear pillar. at the end of the drain tube is a flap. after a few years, very fine silt builds up at the end of this tube causing the collection tray on the roof to overflow, and spill water all over the interior of the car. Again, you need to remove the flap, and clean it by hand, then re-install. pipe cleaners, compressed air etc. are not going to fix this.

If the water is soaking the head liner (switch to sunroof) then it is probably a clogged drain and the water is backing up. You can test this by injecting water in the four drains with a large syringe or funnel and tube. Keep pouring water in until it drains out under the car (behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels I think) You can see the rear tubes under the car but to access the outlet for the front tubes you will have to remove the front wheel well liner and pull back the sound insulation (at least thats how it is on the '96). If the drains are working properly, you better start looking at other potential problems like the windsheild.

Just for your information, I found the leak in my car. It is a seam in the body just in front of the drivers door. The water that runs off the windshield drains down through the body behind the fender. The drains were full of crud and water was backing up and coming through a seam. I have cleaned up the crud and now I have to re-seal the seam.

Archived