CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

07 dts lux 3

JACK

Please let me know anyones opinion of 07 dts lux3. Ready to buy one on monday and would like to have opinions, either good or bad, and things to look for.

Please let me know anyones opinion of 07 dts lux3. Ready to buy one on monday and would like to have opinions, either good or bad, and things to look for.

Tell us about the new ride.

Inquiring minds want to know. :D:D:D

I have a 2006 Performance Sedan with NAV and Sunroof.

I now have over 63,000 miles on it.

I had a different one before I got this one that I put 40,000 miles on.

I have had a few minor electrical glitches with them.

Nothing serious and nothing major.

All fixed promptly under warranty.

The powertrain has been flawless.

Uses "NO" oil.

It runs great and will run way faster than you should ever drive it.

And with the N*, it does it so EASY. :D

I have driven a few 2007 LUX ll's and one 2008 DTS LUX ll, when mine has been in the shop.

The major difference between the LUX lll and my car, is the Magnetic Ride Suspension and the gearing.

The LUX lll should get a little bit better mileage than mine.

I personally like the mag ride.

On the other Cadillac forum, some people think it rides too hard and most of them prefer the ride of the LUX lll.

If you want my phone number, to talk Cadillacs...PM me.

Posted Image

First of all, we need to get the basics out of the way. Jim's '06 DTS was the last of that chassis design, I don't know exactly what became of it after that M/Y, but let's just assume it was discontinued. The chassis or "platform" of the '07 DTS is the same as the 98 - 2003 Seville, so if you've ever driven one of them, you can pretty much determine what you are about to buy. (more like the SLS that the STS)

I owned a '99 STS, as many on this board remember, and I traded it in for a 2008 DTS LUX III in March 2008. The interior dimensions are identical to the 99, but the fit, finish, and interior detail is much improved. I opted NOT to get the NAV, Lane departure warning system, adaptive cruise, and a few other specialty items. I did end up with an excellent "drivers" car (it does still have the Onstar Turn-by-Turn Nav if you want to subscribe) which gets outstanding fuel economy at 71 mph. The 07 should be pretty much identical to the 08 DTS III in all but a few minor details.

Overall, I really like the improved fuel economy and the vin 9 cam and gearing, which provides better torque in the "driving" range of speeds (45 - 80), it really gives you a feeling of power at your command. I don't care for the rocky ride, which is a function of loosing the 1999 - 2002 STS "mechanical" shocks, a step below Texas Jim's "Magnaride" shocks. The ride is OK, but the stability of CVRSS (much touted in 1999) is sorely missed. As for fuel economy, on a rolling reset, cruise set to 71, fairly flat ground, I'll pull 28.5 mpg all day long over a 100+ mile driving course. My '99 STS would do roughly 26 in the same situation. I also think the noise level at speed is too high, but that issue was not revealed to the GM engineering department, so they went ahead with the "adaptation".

The vin Y engine (cam) and gearing were more impressive when you really wanted to push the skinny pedal (ala 1998 - 2003 STS and 2002 - 2006 DTS (performance in some cases)) since the gearing and cams let the engine put out more power at higher RPM's.

To sum up, I'll call the 2007 thru 2009 DTS LUX III a plush version of the 1998 - 2003 SLS, with quite a few added bells and whistles..........and you can't beat the pop up sunscreen for interior comfort on a hot sunny day!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

JohnnyG,

Slight correction...

The 2006 was the "FIRST" of the newly designed DTS's...not the last of the old ones.

The 2006 thru 2009 DTS are all built on the same chassis.

The Mag Ride is available in 2006 thru 2009 but only in the Performance Edition. VIN 9

The VIN "9" cars have the lower gearing and the Mag Ride.

The VIN "y" cars get better mileage and ride smoother.

Posted Image

Why did GM NOT put adjustable suspension (via the magnaride shocks) on the 2007 - 2010 Performance or Lux III DTS?

I suppose it's those kind of decisions that leads to filing backruptcy. <_<

Why did GM NOT put adjustable suspension (via the magnaride shocks) on the 2007 - 2010 Performance or Lux III DTS?

THAT I agree with.

It should "AT LEAST" be an option on AT LEAST the high end cars.

Posted Image

The MAG RIDE is STANDARD on ALL teh Performance Sedans.

2006 thru 2009...I don't know about 2010...I assume it is on them also.

Posted Image

The Mag Ride is available in 2006 thru 2009
Thanks Texas Jim, I was a year off. But it was or IS only available in the Performance version, possibly the Platinum, but not the Lux III.

I see also, on re-reading the original post, that Jack is driving a 1999 STS. My advice to him is NOT to sell that car! He will miss it in about 3 days!

No Jim, I said "adjustable", like a little knob on the console so you could choose how you wanted the car to ride. I like the "standard" suspension around town, but on the highway it needs to be firmer. A little knob would have done the trick. Shoot, they have the same setup in a 'Vette, but it's more like a switch.....soft - firm.

The Mag Ride is available in 2006 thru 2009
Thanks Texas Jim, I was a year off. But it was or IS only available in the Performance version, possibly the Platinum, but not the Lux III.

I see also, on re-reading the original post, that Jack is driving a 1999 STS. My advice to him is NOT to sell that car! He will miss it in about 3 days!

yep...he will miss the 99 for sure. :D

I "THINK"... starting in 2009...You can only get the Performance Sedan in Platinum.

Which has some things I really like and some things I don't really care for.

I am planning on getting a 2010, Performance Platinum, about the time the 2011's come out.

But you know what they say about "PLANS." :D

Posted Image

Thanks guys for the info, I have had the 99 sts for the past 7 years and have enjoyed very much, it's been a fabulous car. I haven't sold it yet but plan to do so as it is getting a bit tired. thank again for the info will keep you all posted on the new one (new to me anyway)

No Jim, I said "adjustable", like a little knob on the console so you could choose how you wanted the car to ride. I like the "standard" suspension around town, but on the highway it needs to be firmer. A little knob would have done the trick. Shoot, they have the same setup in a 'Vette, but it's more like a switch.....soft - firm.

OK...I missed the "ADJUSTABLE" part.

You want in where "YOU" can adjust the firmness.

I can understand that...very well. :D

I do wish mine was manually adjustable.

It is a little TOO FIRM in town.

It actually adjusts itself, up to 1000 times a second, depending on road conditions...but it is BIASED to the FIRMER side of the settings.

The low profile 245x50x18 tires don't help to smooth out the ride either. :D

They have REAL STIFF sidewalls. Almost no give to them to help smooth the bumps.

It is just about perfect on long interstate trips, especially if you run fairly fast.

It is also very good in the twisty mountain roads, if you like to corner at slightly above what you would do in a regular car.

It can firm up one side, while softening the other side to keep the car level when going around sharp curves. Any one of the four shocks/struts can be adjusted independently of the other three.

For instance...when cornering HARD LEFT...it will soften the left rear andfirm up the right front the most. I like it pretty well.

I want my next one to have it also...but I "DO" wish it was MANUALLY adjustable from "SOFT" to "FIRM."

Posted Image

Sorry Jim, I wasn't having a very good night last night, so thanks for understanding what I was trying to say, and thanks for the corrections. I always get the 9 and Y thing mixed up. It doesn't help that the vin on my car has a Y in the 8th digit and a 9 for the 9th digit! I can also understand Jack's sentiments about needing to trade up. After a while, you just need a new ride! I'm certain that he'll be very happy with the new car, but I just know he'll miss the old one at times.

Brought new to me 07 dts home monday evening, about a 70 mile drive home from where it was purchased-absolutley fablous car. It's pearl white with cashmere and cocoa interior and all the bells and whistles. For an old guy I feel like a little kid at christmas. Thanks again for all your input and advise.

Congatulations on the new car!

At least you knew what to expect. How do you like the ride at speed?

I was thinking today......"If I still had my '99 I'd be needing an exhaust system about now". I think you made a very wise decision.

I feel like a little kid at christmas.

That is exactly how I felt when I bought my Fleetwood Brougham in 1993. The salesman called me and told me, "They just unloaded your car off the truck". I wanted to go and pick it up immediately but the dealer needed a couple of days to prep the car for delivery. Those were two long days for me...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived