CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Heater blower housing failure

Phillip

I was servicing my car today and I noticed a crack in the plastic housing of the heater blower housing. I lightly brushed it to clean off the dirt and the plastic crumbled. On closer inspection the whole housing is covered with cracks and the plastic is completely disintegrating. I know that this is a 13 year old car, but I wouldn't have expected the plastic to rot like this. Has anyone seen this happen and is there any way to repair it or do I need a new housing?

It is somewhat common. There was a discussion about this a long time ago with some possible repairs like self stick mesh drywall tape and then gobs of RTV. The drivetrain has to be removed to replace it.

It is somewhat common. There was a discussion about this a long time ago with some possible repairs like self stick mesh drywall tape and then gobs of RTV. The drivetrain has to be removed to replace it.

The one in my '94 is coming apart as well, however it doesn't appear to be that bad yet.

I've used JB Weld and some thin aluminum to reinforce the decay.

Many, many years ago I had to replace the evaporator in the '94 as it was leaking 134a.

The evaporator is behind the plastic housing.

I removed the dog bones and the cooling fans, then loosened the frame (cradle) bolts, fronts almost all the way out, the remaining bolts not as far, and the rears just barely loose.

The engine will rock (lean) forward enough to remove the plastic housing.

I think I removed the coil pack.

Not really too bad of a job.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Thanks. I am glad the job is "do-able", but one of the guys called a '96 deville a "grand father clock". I am not excited about doing a job like this on such an old car, but I can't let it go over something like this. I would like to think I could get at least 15 years out of the car.

Thanks. I am glad the job is "do-able", but one of the guys called a '96 deville a "grand father clock". I am not excited about doing a job like this on such an old car, but I can't let it go over something like this. I would like to think I could get at least 15 years out of the car.

Marika refers to my car as a grandfather's clock in jest. All cars as they get older need work. You will get 15 years if you repair and maintain and do PM on it

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Yes, I know what you mean. I really like the car and I like doing the maintenance on it, but this kind of problem is really discouraging. I also noticed some cracks in the air filter housing. I am afraid that if I touch these plastic parts they will fall apart and you just don't know where it will stop.

Until a couple of months ago, the caddy was my newest car and remains my wifes daily driver because she likes it better than the mini-van we recently bought. I would like to keep the car but I have to be careful how much I invest in a car that is only worth a couple thousand dollars.

Archived