CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Replacing 91 Eldorado Motor Mount

bschelle

I am going to change the right front motor mount on my 91 Eldorado. I can see the motor lift up when I brake torque it and it is making a noise like a can of marbles at different RPM's. Now I need all of you guys to give me some do's & dont's to get me started. The FSM is rather vague and I know some of you guys have had to do this job before. So let me have it!

The can of marbles sound makes me think you have a Catalytic Converter going bad. The can of marbles sound is a classic symptom of it going bad. Try hitting the CAT with a rubber hammer and listen for that rattling sound.

IPB Image

It's not the cat. I took that off years ago. I should change the way it rattles to it sounds like a pipe ratteling against the frame. It does it when I apply different amounts of torque and throttle. I am guessing it is some part of the engine contacting the frame. If I let up on it when it starts to make the noise it stops. When I am cruising it does not make any noise.

It's not the cat. I took that off years ago. I should change the way it rattles to it sounds like a pipe ratteling against the frame. It does it when I apply different amounts of torque and throttle. I am guessing it is some part of the engine contacting the frame. If I let up on it when it starts to make the noise it stops. When I am cruising it does not make any noise.

It is your exhaust system which is attached to the engine rattles when it touches the frame. Sure, you may want to replace the motor mounts, but another cheaper solution is putting the car on a hoist and asking someone to gently powerbrake it while you are watching and listening. That's how I noticed what was causing rattling in a second. I could not identify the source in two years!

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

So if you agree it is the mount, what will putting it on a hoist solve? No offense but I can see the motor move when I barke torque it. Did you replace your mount yourself or did you have it done by a pro?

It is your exhaust system which is attached to the engine rattles when it touches the frame. Sure, you may want to replace the motor mounts, but another cheaper solution is putting the car on a hoist and asking someone to gently powerbrake it while you are watching and listening. That's how I noticed what was causing rattling in a second. I could not identify the source in two years!

What is the other cheaper solution? Are you saying it may not be the mount? On your car, what did you do to fix it? I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to get some expert advice. You guys know way more than me about these great old Caddies.

So if you agree it is the mount, what will putting it on a hoist solve? No offense but I can see the motor move when I barke torque it. Did you replace your mount yourself or did you have it done by a pro?

In my case an exhaust pipe was touching a bracket attached to the frame under acceleration. Prying the bracket some 1/4" off the pipe eliminated the rattle forever. Sure, you can replace the mount if you think the movement is excessive. It may eliminate the rattle. But what if it is still there?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

changing the front motor mount is relativly easy if you have ever done one in the past this will not give you any problems. I had to change this same mount on both a 90 & 91 deville's and I do not think that it is gonna be much diffrent on an Eldo. Good Luck!!!

Archived