CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

starting problem

hotmine

for the past 3 cold days, I have been having with the car not starting :huh: . Checked the battery..I think it is ok..lights and everything else battery-related work fine..when I turn the ignition key on to start the car..nothing...it is as if there is no battery connected to the car..the only thing I hear is one faint click coming from the right passenger side of the car..this probelm started about 3 days ago...the first day...on the first try ..it did not start..2nd it did not...3rd it did..and it was fine the rest of the day..second day in the morning...same thing..but this time it took about 5 tries...3rd day in themorning....nothing..I could not start it at all..again acted as if there was no battery connected to the car....please note it started doing this when the outside temp. fell below 15oF...any idea what could the problem be..soundsto me it is somehow weather related..I checked the archives and found nothing usefull....thanks for your help..

the car is a cad deville 1995

Just a guess you may just have a battery starting to go.Or it's possible the starter.

I would check the battery termnials for corrosion and clean them if they have corrosion.you can't see it unless you remove the cables from the battery.The easy was would be try to jump start the car on see if it starts rite up.How old is your battery?

Good Luck

Jim

Can also be the PRNDL switch has a faulty connection cold. Next time it won't start at all, with the battery on car off run the gear shift lever through its positions and back to park, then try again.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

excuse my ignorance..but what is the PRNDL . where is it located? can it be replaced easily by someone like me, with little experiece (I do know common sense,however)...is it the ignition switch by any chance...thanks for your help ..

The PRNDL refers to the gear the car is in. The gear shift will light each gear you are in or pass over to go to another gear. there by being, P: Park, R: Reverse, N: Neutral, etc. There is a switch to tell the car that you are in park or neutral to let the car crank for starting when you turn the key.

The next time you have this problem, turn on the head lights and try starting. If the lamps dim you will know if the PNR switch is good!

I would try jumping the car to see if the battery is the problem and if it starts check the terminals to be sure they are clean. When you jump the battery and the problem is the same, I would then start looking at the starter / cable as a possible issue ;)

Lou

94 Seville STS

can I replace the prdnl switch myself or is it too hard to do so...what do you guys recommend...and what is the average cost out there for that kind of a job..thanks agin..

The switch as I recall is right on top of the transmission and relatively easy to access from over the right front fender. No idea on cost.

First you need to make sure the PRNDL switch is at fault by seeing if cycling through the gears fixes the no start condition when it happens. My dealer replaced mine, but my impression is that the switch is under the gear shift assembly.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I had the exact same problem on my 97 Concours, only during the summer. It was my cable connection to the battery. Check for corrosion on the battery contacts. Mine showed no signs of corrosion by looking at it with the battery connected, so take the cables off of the battery to have a good look.

Cadillacs draw more current from the charging system because of all the electronics, so a VERY good battery connection is important.

had the same problem two months ago. the battery was fine. i put additional wire from battery's positive to starter's positive- it started right away. the problem is the cold weather - starter needs more ampers and if the cable is old it cannot provide with enough current. it is just a temporary fix. make sure the connections are reliable otherwise will get a lot of sparks. at the same time it will prove that the problem is wiring not solenoide, starter, battery or whatever else. try.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived