CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1990 Allante engine valve

Allante has 77K, dealer says something in engine causing rough idle, their best guess is a stuck valve. Oil has been Mobil 1 10-30, daily driver. No issues with electrical, fuel, computer. Any suggestion on what to do?

First thing I would do is check your EGR valve. It may not be closing properly and either need cleaning or replacement. A partially open EGR valve will definitely cause rough idle.

Next thing I would do is clean the throttle blades.

You might also have a bad injector or two.

IPB Image

Allante has 77K, dealer says something in engine causing rough idle, their best guess is a stuck valve. Oil has been Mobil 1 10-30, daily driver. No issues with electrical, fuel, computer. Any suggestion on what to do?

I would say it is hard to find a 4.9 or 4.5 engine nowadays which would not suffer from rough idle to some extent. The problem is mostly electrical. I do have rough idle for a few years and still cannot find the culprit. Replaced a lot of parts including all fuel injectors. I personally just got tired of all of those repairs/replacements at some point and gave up. :(

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I suggest having a shop hook up an ignition analyzer - the scope will show the cylinder(s) that are misfiring. Once you know what cylinder(s) are misfiring, you can diagnose the problem without throwing a bunch of parts at it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived