CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

3.6 DI applications/non-caddy

joeb

I see the new camaro has a version with the 3.6 DI and manual trans. nice. the CTS has the same motor but auto trans only. the buick lacrosse CXS also has the motor but no DI but its a FWD setup. I assume the salesman does not refer to the CTS motor as a "caddy" item, maybe only GM? with the GM financial issues, i suppose you are lucky to even get a motor.

The DI and non-DI 3.6L engines are used in many applications across GM. I don't see that as a 'bad' thing, although I understand the argument that people would prefer to see Cadillac unique engines.

I am excited with the use of the DI 3.6L in the 'base' Camaro that we will see a new, strong performance aftermarket for these engines. I would like to see an easy path to add 50-70 hp to a new CTS!

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

i think just about any motor can be tweaked to improve power as long as there are aftermarket folks to provide parts. the market for CTS owners to mod their 3.6 motors has to be very small. just not the right demographics. now, the camaro crowd is a different group. much younger i assume and more willing to mod. the younger drivers have high insurance costs so they lean towards V6 cars instead of V8 cars and than try and wring more power out of them. i have no idea what the mod scene is like for 3.8 camaros. must be pretty small. but the 3.8 buick motor is a boat anchor compared to the 3.6.

Yes, based on the huge enthusiasm so far on Camaro forums I believe there will be a large aftermarket for the V6 cars as well as the normal V8 market. The V6 Camaro is a good handling compromise, because of the lighter weight engine. But the real crux is the initial cost and the insurance, so that a lot of enthusiasts will have the V6 then want to mod it up for more performance. This will bring the attention of more aftermarket suppliers to focus on tuning, exhausts, intakes, then power adders.

Although the Camaro is on the zeta platform and the current CTS is on the Sigma II platform, the two cars are actually very similar under the skin because the two platforms are also very similar, and for the V6+Auto at least they share the same drivetrains.

Bruce

and for the V6+Auto at least they share the same drivetrains.

So therefore...most of the stuff that will be developed for the new Camaro...can be retrofitted to the CTS.

Henceforth...This will be known as a "GOOD THING." :D:D:D

Posted Image

horsepower tv did a mustang 4.6 cam swap a year or so ago. it seems to be the real deal on a LS motor to swap out the cam and do a little head work but that is a pushrod motor. a 4 cam swap would be $$ for the 3.6. how finicky is the 3.6 DI motor? would it even tolerate a cam swap? i did a search online for the DI motor. found a lot of info. yes, 3.0 and 3.6 versions. interesting.

The big thing is to get aftermarket tuning figured out, which along with exhaust and intake could push the 3.6L DI up to 330 engine net hp. Then supercharger fitment will follow once the tuning is set. Limited market in the CTS community for that, but lots of V6 Camaros looking for more scoot.

Bruce

Archived