CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Serpentine Belt Woes

jackc

My brother has become the proud new owner of my 93 ETC.

A problem has come up with the serpentine belt. The belt is suddenly too long to engage tightly.

He's tried 2 replacement belts and that did not help. Also replaced the belt tensioner and that did not help either.

Nothing was done to the car in the days leading up to this problem. I happened on its own. I had put about 10k miles on the and never had the slightest hint of trouble with the belt.

I have not seen the car since the problem came up. He reports that all pulleys seem to be tight and in good order.

The only thing I can figure is that something may not have been attached properly and has moved out of position. Alternator, compressor, or PS pump would be the suspects.

Can anyone enlighten us on how all of that stuff attaches and what could possibly be out of position?

Thanks in advance..... Jack

the original belt just started slipping? did you compare the old belt and new belt for similar lengths? how loose is your new belt? a little bit or totally slack? did you follow the belt routing diagram in the engine compartment?

Belt Routing: Around Power Steering Pump Pulley then around the Generator (Alt.) Pulley

back around the Idler Pulley, down and around the A/C Compressor Pulley, then left to go around the Crankshaft Pulley, up to go around the Tensioner Pulley, ending around the PSPP.

Relax the tension with a 1/2" drive breaker-bar...Slide Belt over the PSPP.

Check Idler Pulley mounting, as well as the Tensioner Pulley mounting/tension. Spin the pulleys to check the bearings.

rek

It sounds like you may have the belt looped incorrectly.

See the attached image to help route it correctly.

-Georgepost-141-1237872016_thumb.jpg

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

I can't help but think there is something very wrong... for a factory length belt to suddenly become too loose and a new factory length belt to still be too loose doesn't make sense to me. I would be checking the mounting of all the accessories as well as tensioner bearings, idler bearings, etc. before an event occurs...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I can't help but think there is something very wrong... for a factory length belt to suddenly become too loose and a new factory length belt to still be too loose doesn't make sense to me. I would be checking the mounting of all the accessories as well as tensioner bearings, idler bearings, etc. before an event occurs...

Yeah - I'm with you. He swears that he's tugged on, fiddled with, and spun all of the pulleys and everything seems ok. And he has a background as a mechanic and parts man - so.....

My best guess would be that one of the accessories has moved a little. But I'm not sure if they mount in such a way that this could be possible.

I guess we'll just wait for an event to occur and hope that it doesn't.

Archived