CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

cadillac engine swap

gbuz13

Hello evryone im hopeing someone can help me with my question well here it goes.

i found a engine for my cadillac wich is a 93 deville 4.9 well the engine i fou nd is from a 89 cadillac devill 4.5 could i swap the 89 cadillac engine to my 93 cadillac??? please let me knoe if its possible thank you and i appriciaTE UR TIME

Mechanically it would probably be a direct fit. The problem is that you need the powertrain control (computer) from the 93 to run the dash, and it won't match up well with the 4.5L engine. Better to keep shopping for another 4.9L to swap in.

Are you sure the 4.9L you have is not repairable?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Mechanically it would probably be a direct fit. The problem is that you need the powertrain control (computer) from the 93 to run the dash, and it won't match up well with the 4.5L engine. Better to keep shopping for another 4.9L to swap in.

i have w doner car wich was rearended will i have evrything i need for the swap??

i have w doner car wich was rearended will i have evrything i need for the swap??

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here.

If you have the complete 4.5L engine it will fit in place of the 4.9L. BUT you don't want to swap them because the 4.9L computer can't run the 4.5L engine, and the 4.5L engine can't interface with the vehicle systems (dash) that the 4.9L came out of.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

A little more information would be helpful. Why do you need to swap engines in the first place? Secondly, the 4.5 engine will not work in your car for the reasons mentioned in earlier posts. 4.9 engines are plentiful - keep looking until you find a 4.9. Even if you need to spend a little more money, it will be cheaper in the long run.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The 89 4.5 is only 155 hp and the 4.9 is 200 hp. Going to the 4.5 will result in almost less 50 hp. That said, you're much better off finding a 4.9 engine. They are not expensive and fairly easy find.

IPB Image

Archived