CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2008 Impala Steering Issue

Perhaps someone here may know what I'm dealing with. I've noticed lately that when I cut my wheel to a hard right, such as when doing a parking maneuver, as soon as I release my foot from the brake, I hear a "chirp" coming from under the hood. OK, what am I dealing with here. :angry:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Perhaps someone here may know what I'm dealing with. I've noticed lately that when I cut my wheel to a hard right, such as when doing a parking maneuver, as soon as I release my foot from the brake, I hear a "chirp" coming from under the hood. OK, what am I dealing with here. :angry:

A little more information needed.

Does the chirp occur only once, or is it continuous until you straighten out your wheels?

Does it occur only when the car is cold?

Do you know if your brake booster is hydraulic or vacuum? A hydraulic booster takes power from the power steering pump. The combination of turning the wheel to the stop and having the brakes applied hard can cause the belt to slip, causing the "chirp".

I'm a little puzzled by the fact that it only "chirps" when you let your foot off the brake. Perhaps the pump has stopped turning, and when you release the brake, the "chirp" happens when the pump starts turning again. This would be more likely in a system that has a hydraulic brake booster.

It also could be a weak belt tensioner and/or a glazed serpentine belt. This could be the problem wheather or not your car has a hydraulic brake booster.

Extremely cold weather could be a factor also. The power steering oil and belt could need some time to warm up.

Let us know what you find.

Britt

Britt

A little more information needed.

Does the chirp occur only once, or is it continuous until you straighten out your wheels?

Does it occur only when the car is cold?

Do you know if your brake booster is hydraulic or vacuum? A hydraulic booster takes power from the power steering pump. The combination of turning the wheel to the stop and having the brakes applied hard can cause the belt to slip, causing the "chirp".

I'm a little puzzled by the fact that it only "chirps" when you let your foot off the brake. Perhaps the pump has stopped turning, and when you release the brake, the "chirp" happens when the pump starts turning again. This would be more likely in a system that has a hydraulic brake booster.

It also could be a weak belt tensioner and/or a glazed serpentine belt. This could be the problem wheather or not your car has a hydraulic brake booster.

Extremely cold weather could be a factor also. The power steering oil and belt could need some time to warm up.

Let us know what you find.

Britt

It chirps once, 99.999% of the time to the right, but it did happen on rare occasions, to the left. Makes no difference if it's hot or cold, engine or climate, it chirps when I cut the wheel and then take my foot off the brake. I don't find a leak anywhere, seems the power steering fluid level is fine.

I couldn't tell you what type of brake system the car has although I can say it is NOT ABS, just regular brakes. As of today it has 10,357 miles. Runs beautiful except for that little odd birdie that's somewhere under the hood and likes to speak up once in a while. :lol:

I purchased the Helm manual for the car on Friday, $155 for a two volume manual that covers 2008 Impala and Monte Carlo. Once I get that manual I'll start to learn the car better.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Just got back from the dealership and they inspected the entire front end of the car, nothing is wrong. Belt looks fine. They topped off the power steering fluid. At least nothing is going bad, I guess. I'll just drive it, wait and see.

Was it wet out? Maybe the belt got wet and slipped

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

It started after all the snow, rain and ice we've had these past few weeks. I'll just keep an eye on it and if it progresses I'll bring it back.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Marika, sitting at a drive thru with the wheel just turned to the right and you let off the brake? Sound familiar <_<

I'll wait for it to freak out, after all, the car is under warranty.

Archived