CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bose speaker compatability

KHE

I have a bad rear speaker on my '97 STS - it makes a buzzing/scratching noise. It is the speake itself, not the attached amp - when I move the cone with my fingers, I can feel the core rubbing. GM no longer has the part available, Brasingtons can get it for $250 from a surplus shop. I found it for $200 but even that is a LOT of money... I found a place to repair the existing speaker for $40 but they are not conveniently located and need two weeks to do the job.

I have noticed that the rear Bose speakers seem to be unique for the Seville, Eldorado, Deville, etc. - even for various years so I don't think I could install a rear speaker from a '96 Eldorado and call it good. I am guessing the only difference between the various part nos. is the amplifier itself and not the actual speaker. Can anyone confirm that? It seems that is the case since the system is tuned to the accoustics of the car. If that's true, I could pick up one for a '96 Eldorado (ebay - new for $45.00) and just install my amp on it.

I want to keep the system stock so please hold the posts about ripping out the Bose system and rewiring the car with an aftermarket unit.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

They are very commonly found on eBay. If you replace the speaker with a different aftermarket speaker it wont be as loud considering the factory bose speakers are 1ohm speakers and I havent been able to find anything less than a 2ohm aftermarket speaker. I need a replacement pass door speaker so I will be searching on ebay shortly. The speaker from the 96 you mentioned should already come with a amp on the back and should be a simple plug and play install. As long as you have the same size they will work. Just make sure you get the speaker you need for your car. In my 2000, the speakers dont have the amps installed on the back (atleast the 8" door speaker didnt) so just make sure you keep that in mind when shopping.

3100406887_808dbe1b91_m.jpg3100408453_191809e0a7_m.jpg

I have a bad rear speaker on my '97 STS - it makes a buzzing/scratching noise. It is the speake itself, not the attached amp - when I move the cone with my fingers, I can feel the core rubbing. GM no longer has the part available, Brasingtons can get it for $250 from a surplus shop. I found it for $200 but even that is a LOT of money... I found a place to repair the existing speaker for $40 but they are not conveniently located and need two weeks to do the job.

I have noticed that the rear Bose speakers seem to be unique for the Seville, Eldorado, Deville, etc. - even for various years so I don't think I could install a rear speaker from a '96 Eldorado and call it good. I am guessing the only difference between the various part nos. is the amplifier itself and not the actual speaker. Can anyone confirm that? It seems that is the case since the system is tuned to the accoustics of the car. If that's true, I could pick up one for a '96 Eldorado (ebay - new for $45.00) and just install my amp on it.

I want to keep the system stock so please hold the posts about ripping out the Bose system and rewiring the car with an aftermarket unit.

The speakers for that vintage Seville/Eldorado are the same. I recently bought a new Bose 6x9 w/amp off ebay for my 96 STS, it was advertised for a 97 Eldorado but works just fine, the #'s are different, but the speakers & amp were identical looking. I just had to take the wiring harness from my old speaker and put it on the new one. Paid $45 for the whole unit new.

Thanks for the information. I stll wonder why every carline and every year has a unique part number - I can't help but think the difference is in the amp only so if I transfer my existing amp to the new bose speaker, it should be fine regardless of what year/model of Cadillac it was originally intended for.

I have an amp going bad on my '96 Seville so it may make the most sense to buy a speaker off ebay for the '96 (I can't find any '97s anyway) and use the speaker in my '97 and transfer the '97's amp to the new speaker and then use the '96 amp to replace the crackling amp in my '96.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Just use the new speaker you get. You may have to transfer the wire harness but thats it. Everything else is the same. Theres no need to transfer amps as they will be the same wattage and output. The different part numbers may reflect the different wiring harness they use.

3100406887_808dbe1b91_m.jpg3100408453_191809e0a7_m.jpg

my son said the pass door speaker was bad on my car. i have never noticed it myself. i have tried to use the system at loud volumes and use different types of music but i cannot determine if it is bad. but than my son used to blow 75amp fuses on his sub all the time.

Just use the new speaker you get. You may have to transfer the wire harness but thats it. Everything else is the same. Theres no need to transfer amps as they will be the same wattage and output. The different part numbers may reflect the different wiring harness they use.

I just checked both of my Sevilles and the speaker assemblies look identical but have different part nos. The harnesses look identical. The amps have different part nos. also. GM doesn't change part nos. unless there is a change in the assembly. I can only conclude that something in the amp may be different.

I contacted one of the ebay sellers and asked them if they had a speaker assembly for a '96 Seville. The Eldorado speaker may plug in and play in the '97 but it may not be optimal. I may be going through extra work but I'm going to see if I can buy the speaker with amp for the '96 Seville, transfer the amp from my '97 to it and then install it in the '97 STS. The "new" amp removed from the new speaker can then be installed on the good speaker assembly in the '96 that has the crackling amp.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

FWIW, Voice coil rub ( buzzing/scratching noise) may be the result of "Spider Sag"....The spider (bottom of speaker cone) and the surround (top of speaker cone), support and center the cone/voice coil in the "Gap" of the motor (Magnet). A "Door" speaker may be "Cured" by remounting the speaker...Rotate the speaker so the factory "top position" becomes the bottom.

If it still rubs, a recone or replacement is in order. I find it best to replace BOTH L and R

(Think Headlamps), if one side is bad.

Compare the DCR (ohms resistance) of the proposed replacement speakers, to that of the existing speakers. If they are close, and you replace in pairs, you should be OK.

rek

• 1 month later...
....I need a replacement pass door speaker so I will be searching on ebay shortly.

I expect to have a front door speaker (Bose) for sale early next week.

....In my 2000, the speakers dont have the amps installed on the back (atleast the 8" door speaker didnt) so just make sure you keep that in mind when shopping.

What I will have available is from '98 - '99 vintage and the speaker+plastic mount assembly might be 8" diameter, but the speaker part of that is 6.5" diameter.

Interested?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I wound up buying a new speaker from a surplus place on ebay for $39.00 (best offer). It was for a '96 Eldorado but I just transferred my '97 amp to the '96 speaker and installed it. It works perfectly and was cheaper than having my existing speaker reconed considering the speaker reconing shop was a 45 minute drive one-way. I will probably have the old speaker repaired so I have a good spare.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived