CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Service Theft System

kriseyes00

Took my car to a local service station to have the starter replaced on a 03 CTS. When I went to pick it up I had a new list of problems ...

The car will not turn off, the keys will not come out, the service theft system message is displayed, the traction control and padlock light stays on the dashboard, the fuel gauge no longer works, the gear shift will not come out of park, the seat and radio memory settings are gone.

The shop owner didn't know how to fix it , and didn't offer any suggestions other then taking it to the dealer.

Help!!!!

Took my car to a local service station to have the starter replaced on a 03 CTS. When I went to pick it up I had a new list of problems ...

Keep a detailed diary, keep all documents this dude gave you, keep all your receipts and be prepared for the long-haul to recover your costs from this dude. Someone obviously tackled a job they were not qualified to complete leaving you faced with cleaning up the mess.

Have the car hauled to a Cadillac dealer and be prepared to pay to have the "repair" repaired. Offer the service station owner an opportunity to pay the the Cadillac dealer charges.

If the service station owner is uncooperative, file a claim against the owner in Small Claims Court. If that does not recover your "additional" out-of-pocket expenses, hire an attorney and put that dude out of business.

Tough love approach.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

If you have a friend with a cheap code reader, you might do two things: get a list of the OBD II codes, Current and History, then reset the codes and see if the car is OK, or which codes come back. A good dealer will tell you the codes and what they mean; ask when you take it in so that they know you want that.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Does the car start - ie. is the battery dead?

My 08 CTS had a dead battery after I left my phone charger in for the weekend. when I tried to start, it wouldn't, then I couldn't take the key out of the ignition. I couldn't believe it. I had to wait till the battery charger was connected that the car had enough juice to activate the selanoid to disingage the key for removal. possibly corrosion in a wire that was moved put it over the edge, and now the cars electrical system is not getting the voltage it needs - introducing lot's of gremlins. hopefully it was a bad starter, and not just the usual corrosion around the battery terminals. did the same guy who couldn't figure out how to fix this issue the same who diagnosed a bad starter?

winterset -- The low voltage codes will stay as History until they have cleared, or you have driven the car for several weeks. They shouldn't hurt anything. If the low voltage readings are Current, then you have a continuing problem. From your post, it does sound like either the battery has a dead cell or you have a battery cable problem. I suggest that you check both ends of both cables, and the engine ground strap.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

winterset -- You changed the battery on a 2008 CTS??? This should have been a dealer warranty repair, and they would have tracked down and exorcised any demons that remained. So, I'll assume you're talking about the 2001 DeVille when you discuss gremlins?

Changing the battery won't clear the Voltage Low codes -- at least they didn't clear on my car when I changed my battery yesterday. Also, make sure that you cleaned the battery terminals, and check the ground cables. If you are getting low voltage codes and gremlins, you have low voltage.

There is one last king gremlin: you didn't jump-start your car and have the cables reversed the first time you tried it, and you didn't put a fast-charger on the battery. Reverse voltage, or overvoltage over about 18 Volts can pop modules.

Archived