CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2002 Deville DTS Coolant

millwright71

Been a long time since I have posted. I changed the coolant in my 02 DTS today. Drained radiator per service manual instructions. The manual says capacity is 12.5 quarts. There will be 2 quarts left in engine with no way of draining. I installed sealant tabs into the hose that crosses the radiator from pass side to drivers side. My question is that I put about 1.25 gallons in through the surge tank, idled the car with A/C on and set at 90 degrees. The temp gauge got up to normal. I am currently leaving the car cool down to ambient temp. Why did it not take at least 2 gallons? How do I know for sure it is filled correctly? I now have an over full surge tank. I hope the level goes down when it cools and i can get at least 8 quarts in it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Millwright71

Sounds like you did not measure how much coolant you actually removed. And I doubt if you removed much more than 5 or 6 quarts from the system.

The correct coolant level in the reservoir is 2 to 3 inches below FULL when the system is cold.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The best thing to do is to flush the system. In the old days I kept a hose trickling into the radiator with the drain petcock open while the car idled until the drain lost all color. This probably isn't a good idea for a reverse-flow cooling system like the Northstar or LS series bow-tie small blocks. You could fill and drain it with water three or four times to get most of the old coolant out. Others may have better ideas.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks Guys,

After gettin some rest, I drained my catch basin into the gallon containers, and sure enough, I only drained off a little over a gallon. I removed the excess from my surge tank, and will drive it to heat cycle it a couple times, then top it off if it needs it. As always, thanks for the info, that's why I keep coming back to this site.

Millwright71

Archived