CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Flush or not to Flush?

Rick's STS

I read somewhere on the forum about flushing the tranny when changing fluid. It was very detailed and I even saved it on the computer. However a few days ago I read that I should not flush the fluid in my tranny just change it an clean the filter screens. The car is older and the service history is questionable. It is very clean and runs well, but I have been slowly repairing the "little things" struts, bushings, etc. I have been on top of the oil and other fluids but now it is time to make sure that the tranny is taken care of. I have had it for 6 of its 135K.

What is the verdict. Flush it or just change it?

You can flush it if you do it yourself by removing the trans fluid cooling line that goes into the radiator end tank then start the engine and replace fluid as it is pumped out though it is probably not neccessary. DO NOT let a trans shop or anyone else hook it up to their machine an flush it. As previously mentioned check the archives and see Bbobynski's post re: flush's.

The post he is referring to: http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=8

The new archive of how-to articles will be here: http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=9

and of course you can use the Search function found to the upper right of any topic page (like this one) http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=Search&f=3

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

In short, the advise was just to not let anyone put your transmission on a flushing machine (or put any other part on your car on a flushing machine). A machine may or may not really be clean inside and you never really know what you're going to get. A drain/refill is the best way to go.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The 4T80E on the Northstar cars has a drain plug for the side cover that is hidden under the lower oil pan to drain all the oil from the unit. Remember to remove it if servicing a 4T80E.

Is this plug obvious too see once the pan is removed? I will be doing this in the near future.

Dennis

Dennis

I must agree with jadcock. Flushing the transmission should be done only if you have a problem with your tranny and the next step is to have it rebuilt. If you flush a tranny you could put seals and other parts under stress that wouldn't normally be. There is always a chance that you could end up having more problems.

If you really want to flush the transmission, try this. Drain and refill the transmission. Drive it for about 500 miles and repeat. The end result will be similar without having put the tranny through the stresses of a flushing machine.

If anyone dissagrees with this, please enlighten me!

My dad had his tranny flushed on his chrysler about 6 monts ago, 4 days later it started to leak...and has been leaking ever since. He took it back to "speedy lube" and they gave him some b/s run around saying that it wasn't there fault....yeah right. Anyway watch out for those pan bolts on a 92, when I changed the fluid on my 95 I broke a couple...got 2 be gentle

A.J.

Archived