CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

help with trans upgrade 75 cadillac coupe de ville

johnpas

I have a 75 cadillac coupe de ville 500 ci engine. I would like to add a new 4 speed . Does anyone know what trans I can bolt up to it? It has a TH400 3 speed now . The TH400 in there now is toast so I would like to upgrade some. John P. san diego CA

This company offers a variety of transmission adapters, although I don't see your specific need mentioned.

MTS offers a variety of products for your vehicle. They also mention in one of the threads in their forum that the offer transmission adapters for the 500s

These snippets seem especially relevant:

The TH200R4 (that ID may not be exactly correct) 4 speed O.D. tranny's that were behind the turbocharged Buick V-6 engines will usually bolt up to the 472/500/425 Cadillac engines.

One thing that comes to mind is the old 'Switch Pitch' TH400. Although it is not an O.D. tranny. It will allow you to run some Freeway Gears in the diff for efficient freeway flying & still be able to come off the line more aggressively. Unfortunately, that's about all I can tell you about them. There is a lot of info to be found on the net if you search with some variation of "Turbo-Hydramatic 400 Switch Pitch transmission."

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I think the biggest problem you're going to have if you install something other than a THM-400 is getting the lighter duty trans. to withstand the torque of the 500 engine. Installing an overdrive trans. would probably require re-gearing the differential in order to match whatever OD trans you install. It's not that it can't be done but rather, how much money do you want to spend? The easiest thing to do would be to rebuild the existing Turbo-400.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I think the biggest problem you're going to have if you install something other than a THM-400 is getting the lighter duty trans. to withstand the torque of the 500 engine. Installing an overdrive trans. would probably require re-gearing the differential in order to match whatever OD trans you install. It's not that it can't be done but rather, how much money do you want to spend? The easiest thing to do would be to rebuild the existing Turbo-400.

Thank you all for your comments.

Archived