CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2000 STS EGR Cleaning?

SPreston2001

Hi guys I need something to do over the weekend so I decided im going to remove and clean my EGR valve. But before I do, I thought I should ask some questions first. I tried searching the forum for EGR Cleaning but all the post were for 4.9 and not the 4.6 N*. Can the EGR valve be cleaned on the 4.6? While I have it off should I look to clean anything else? I already cleaned my throttle body, MAF sensor, and IAC, anything else I should go for? I've always used throttle body cleaner to clean the EGR valves on previous cars, is this safe for this application? Can I re-use the gasket or should I replace it? This EGR valve looks alot different than the usual flying saucer type valves im used, to whats the best way to clean them? Thanks in advance.

3100406887_808dbe1b91_m.jpg3100408453_191809e0a7_m.jpg

The top of the EGR contains electronics so don't submerge it. Tapping it with a hammer (the frame) can loosen a lot of junk. Clean it but be careful not to scratch it, just clean it till the pindle moves freely without sticking. GM UEC (liquid not the spray) is good, but if you use something else make sure its O2 sensor safe. I use small round brass wire brushes (gun cleaning brushes from Hoppe), and get in there and try to clean the seat, but that is hard to do. you might just soak the bottom part in about 1.5 inches of solvent also. Use a new gasket, it will cost an unbelievable $6. I need to clean mine, I keep getting a P1406 EGR Pindle Position Error, so she is probably sticking. You will need to lift your fuel rail (maybe) to get the EGR off, I need to on my 96. have fun

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

You can reuse the gasket if you can get it off in one piece. Just clean the pintle valve and get the carbon off so that it moves freely and does not stick. Hold it upright so that the solvent does not run into the can as it will dissolve the varnish on the windings. Almost any solvent will work, Gumout, Brakleen, TB cleaner.

The top of the EGR contains electronics so don't submerge it. Tapping it with a hammer (the frame) can loosen a lot of junk. Clean it but be careful not to scratch it, just clean it till the pindle moves freely without sticking. GM UEC (liquid not the spray) is good, but if you use something else make sure its O2 sensor safe. I use small round brass wire brushes (gun cleaning brushes from Hoppe), and get in there and try to clean the seat, but that is hard to do. you might just soak the bottom part in about 1.5 inches of solvent also. Use a new gasket, it will cost an unbelievable $6. I need to clean mine, I keep getting a P1406 EGR Pindle Position Error, so she is probably sticking. You will need to lift your fuel rail (maybe) to get the EGR off, I need to on my 96. have fun

Fuel rail didnt need to be removed on mines to get to the EGR. Question, there are two holes on the EGR, one with the pindle and the other is open. The pindle looks like it has a screw in the middle of it, is that so you can remove it?

Fuel rail didnt need to be removed on mines to get to the EGR. Question, there are two holes on the EGR, one with the pindle and the other is open. The pindle looks like it has a screw in the middle of it, is that so you can remove it?

No, but you are right, there is a torx fitting on the bottom, I had forgotten about that. Put a torx screw driver in there and turn the pindle when it is seated and you will clean build up off the seat, you can also hold the pindle while you clean it.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

No, but you are right, there is a torx fitting on the bottom, I had forgotten about that. Put a torx screw driver in there and turn the pindle when it is seated and you will clean build up off the seat, you can also hold the pindle while you clean it.

Also is it correct that you should not spray or allow anything to get into the other hole?

You can spray into the other opening to clean the pintle shaft. Just be sure to hold the valve in the upright position (as mounted) so as not to allow any solvent to run into the "can".

Archived