CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

GM Product Development Lead Bob Lutz on Quality

One thing that one of my neighbors picked up on immediately! Fit was oustanding! He was a car dealer in past years and told me that of all the cars he ever looked at, this one was outstanding......immediately apparent to someone that uses this as his "frame of reference".

And therein lies the rub.

The"perception" of quality needs to go just a little beyond fit. In the case of the DTS, both Texas Jim and I immediately decided that the ride was noisy. Now, the handling characteristics can be a point of contention, Jim preferring a firmer, and I possibly a softer ride ((Ideally somewhere in between, or both) don't laugh, it's possible). However, the perception of quality MUST include quietness as a major factor.

Don't get me wrong, this is one of the three top rated cars for quietness according to the Consumer reports 2008 New Car Guide. But for us, it didn't make the grade.

It's still one great car and a huge engineering accomplishment in my book, just could be better.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

In the case of the DTS, both Texas Jim and I immediately decided that the ride was noisy. ...... However, the perception of quality MUST include quietness as a major factor.

Don't get me wrong, this is one of the three top rated cars for quietness according to the Consumer reports 2008 New Car Guide. But for us, it didn't make the grade.

It's still one great car and a huge engineering accomplishment in my book, just could be better.

I agree about the quietness.

To be almost a $60,000 automobile, it should be a LOT QUIETER than it is.

I am looking into having DYNAMAT or something similar put in mine to quieten it down.

Posted Image

Archived