CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Speed Limit

Marika

How Fast do you Drive, on Average?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. How Fast do you Drive, on Average?

• I drive at or 10 mph below the speed limit.
    • I drive at the speed limit, conditions permitting.
    • I drive at or 10 mph above the speed limit, conditions permitting.
    • I drive 20 mph above the speed limit.
    • I drive 30 mph above the speed limit.
    • I drive 40 mph above the speed limit.
    • I drive 50 mph above the speed limit.
    • Speed Limit? What's that?

Make your choice. How fast do you drive, on average? B)

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Can't vote. None of the options fit my driving style. It is about 5 over with short bursts to 80 or so (the WOT) and occasional excursions to 100+ while the wife is sleeping in the passenger seat. (otherwise known as the audible speeding alarm)

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Can't vote. None of the options fit my driving style. It is about 5 over with short bursts to 80 or so (the WOT) and occasional excursions to 100+ while the wife is sleeping in the passenger seat. (otherwise known as the audible speeding alarm)

I think you're choice would be the last one... ;)

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

It depends on my mood.

On the freeway, I normally drive in the left lane and pace myself on the car in front of me (up to about 80 MPH). On back roads or around town, especially with the sunroof open, I just take it easy and enjoy the ride. Occasionally, when it's safe to do so, I open 'er up to 100 or so just for the thrill of it. When conditions are right, I delight in the WOT, 6 grand, torque-steering acceleration from a go light.

The Northstar does it all!

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

On the Interstates in and around Atlanta, if you insist on driving less than 15 above the limit, the only safe place to drive is in the break-down lane or on the shoulder. I call it Interstate Darwinism.

The far left lane is de facto reserved for "What is a speed limit". And yes, our insurance rates reflect the driving style.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

If you consider the question, it is a bit tougher than it seems to AVERAGE 10 mph over any particular speed limit (and hang onto a license). Anything much higher than 10 is really, really difficult without a lot of "offensive driving techniques" and be prepared to pay...dearly.

I AVERAGE about 80 mph with cruise set at 82.5 on a limit of 75 (typical for many 150-mile trips and a few 640-mile trips). The cops never bother a "grampa car" cruising at 7.5 or so. A 10% factor seems to be a popular setoint with several speed detection systems and municipalities.

It is easy to estimate the time to distance by dividing the posted miles in half (save the result), then divide the result in half and add to the first result. The sum is the total minutes.

Of course, I'll use a pace car or "sponser" at any speed - if they are willing to get nailed for the pleasure of being first.

To get the 80mph average, a few trips to into triple digets is routine.

Nothing much to hit out here excepts cattle and they don't wear reflectors. Wow! do those fence post fly when you're going past 'em on a two lane road at 123 for about 15 miles straight. Kinda annoying after a while and hard to concentrate.

Keep in mind that the cops don't ask what you have averaged, they only count the bursts.

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

If you consider the question, it is a bit tougher than it seems to AVERAGE 10 mph over any particular speed limit (and hang onto a license). Anything much higher than 10 is really, really difficult without a lot of "offensive driving techniques" and be prepared to pay...dearly.

I AVERAGE about 80 mph with cruise set at 82.5 on a limit of 75 (typical for many 150-mile trips and a few 640-mile trips). The cops never bother a "grampa car" cruising at 7.5 or so. A 10% factor seems to be a popular setoint with several speed detection systems and municipalities.

It is easy to estimate the time to distance by dividing the posted miles in half (save the result), then divide the result in half and add to the first result. The sum is the total minutes.

Of course, I'll use a pace car or "sponser" at any speed - if they are willing to get nailed for the pleasure of being first.

To get the 80mph average, a few trips to into triple digets is routine.

Nothing much to hit out here excepts cattle and they don't wear reflectors. Wow! do those fence post fly when you're going past 'em on a two lane road at 123 for about 15 miles straight. Kinda annoying after a while and hard to concentrate.

Keep in mind that the cops don't ask what you have averaged, they only count the bursts.

I still think you would vote that you drive at the speed limit or 10 mph over it. Unless you've verified your speedometer against a GPS unit capable of readings at 1 second intervals, it's safe to say that most speedometers are not perfectly accurate as most police radars are also generally waaaaaaaaaay off, and no doubt, in favor of the cops.

5 over, always. Cops don't even blink an eye.

So I think you would vote that you drive at the speed limit.

Here in New Jersey, and there was a recent newspaper article regarding this, most people average about 10 mph over the speed limit (or at least, that's all they were willing to admit to), except during rush hours when even the Chief of the State Police admitted to routinely driving 85 mph in a 55 mph speed zone.

The catch to all this is that here in New Jersey, every hour can almost be considered a rush hour since the roads are so crowded that you can go out at 2am and still find HUNDREDS of cars all over the place.

Additionally, I've spoken with numerous police officers who admitted to me that the vast majority of cars they pull over for speeding or other driving offenses are OTHER POLICE OFFICERS, apparently, off duty at the time they get pulled over and who NEVER end up being ticketed by their fellow officers.

i was pulled over in N.C. a few years ago for doing 5mph over the limit. when the cop asked me if i knew why he pulled me over i said "for doing 5 mph over the speed limit." before i could finish he shouted, "i pulled you over for exceeding the posted speed limit!!!" but he didn't give me a ticket which was cool considering i didn't have any type of identification on me. i had left my planner in my wife's car the night before and i was on my way to her job to get it.

I think you're choice would be the last one...

Actually, No, I have a great respect for the speed limit. It is typically what I drive a little faster than, and try to keep from getting caught by exceeding.

I consider it more than "just a suggestion", but less than what the real world accepts.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

i was pulled over in N.C. a few years ago for doing 5mph over the limit. when the cop asked me if i knew why he pulled me over i said "for doing 5 mph over the speed limit." before i could finish he shouted, "i pulled you over for exceeding the posted speed limit!!!" but he didn't give me a ticket which was cool considering i didn't have any type of identification on me. i had left my planner in my wife's car the night before and i was on my way to her job to get it.

The cops of North Carolina are known for being VERY STRICT regarding the speed limit.

I think you're choice would be the last one...

Actually, No, I have a great respect for the speed limit. It is typically what I drive a little faster than, and try to keep from getting caught by exceeding.

I consider it more than "just a suggestion", but less than what the real world accepts.

Then your "everyday, real" driving would indicate that you drive at the speed limit or 10mph over it. (with the occasional WOT etc)

• 2 weeks later...

I keep it right at the limit in town, however on the hwy it depends on the traffic which can be bumper to bumper at commute time or almost no one in the wee hours of the morning. I drive slower in the middle of the night , lets say 70 -75 in 65 zone. The CHP likes to hide out on freeway on ramps with no lights on and hit you with radar after you go by in the wee hours. When there is a fast moving flow with pleanty of ticket takers to keep the CHP off me it will be 80.

Jeff

i was pulled over in N.C. a few years ago for doing 5mph over the limit. when the cop asked me if i knew why he pulled me over i said "for doing 5 mph over the speed limit." before i could finish he shouted, "i pulled you over for exceeding the posted speed limit!!!" but he didn't give me a ticket which was cool considering i didn't have any type of identification on me.

I've never been pulled over by an officer here in North Carolina and we pass them ALL THE TIME on the Interstate. They're very lax on handing out tickets, or even pulling you over. Most Interstates here are either 65 or 70 mph, but the flow of traffic is always at or above 80. I just hang with traffic and never have a problem. When driving by myself, I keep it within 10 mph and pass radar cops all day long. Where'd you get pulled for 5 over in NC? That would be news to almost anyone living here. ;)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Can only speak for me, not Tom.

I'm usually find myself coasting along at 47mph, no matter the speed limit. :rolleyes: Even got a warning for that speed in a 30 zone. Guess its a mindset as I have no other explaination for choosing that speed. Strange!!

But I am usually doing the driving around town so I don't hold anyone up either.

Karen

Speed limit, What's that? Anyone drive I-95 in So. Florida? Driving with the traffic at 80-100 mph and have been passed by a motorcycle on the real wheel. I'm just trying to stay out of the way.

sebring06RTP.jpg

.... passed by a motorcycle on the real wheel. I'm just trying to stay out of the way.

First time I saw that stunt was on I-75 in KY and he was going in the opposite direction. I had to check with my bride to be sure we had seen the same thing.

Unbelievable the influence Hollywood has on our immortal younger population.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

i drive the speed limit only where i think cops would be sitting and in residental neighboorhoods.. including busy city traffic (for the most part)

i like to gun it off the line and get to about 80 before backing off (in a 45)

on the interstate, forget it.. i'm 105+ at times.. til that darm minivan wants to park.

(minivan parking?) >:)

Archived