CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power Antenna

Regis

Well I knew it was only a matter of time before I would be asking about this since my 90 Bonn SSE (sold with 216k miles) had the same antenna. Ok, the power antenna goes up and she goes down. At the full Up position the motor shuts off (yay) but when the antenna is visually all the way down, the motor keeps cycling. Any suggestions? Hopefully it's a cheap fix or I'll be looking for one of those short (about 2") black rubber euro power antennas. They look sharp and no moving parts. But I would like to save ol "Bessy" if I can. She's been good to me.

-kg

94sts 206k

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

On my 92 Deville I had the same problem. I just put the antenna up and unplugged the power to the antenna leaving it up. Make sure you put electrical tape over the plug or you will blow a fuse the first time it gets up against anything metal. Mine was in the trunk so I had easy access to the plug. I do not know if you have as easy access as I do on your bonny.

The nylon cord is broken. If the lower two sections of the mast are not bent, you can buy a repair kit for about $12 at the dealer. The kit consists of the top section of mast connected to the nylon cord. Be sure to apply RTV to the groove in the motor housing before reassembly.

There was a post on the old board that described how to repair the existing parts.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks for the reply Paul. Yeah I did think of that but thought it would be safer to pull the power plug in the down position. In the up position the antenna is amazingly fragile over a period of time. I did that little trick on the Bonn only to have it snap off at the base(ouch). I love my caddy a whole lot more then i did the Bonn so I'm looking to actually fix this situation. Hopefully someone will tell me that it's some "stop sensor switch and this is what you do". I'm figuring that's it's something minor. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

-kg

94sts 206k

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Seems I have an almost similar problem with my '96 STS. The power antennae goes up fine, but when it comes down, it stops and shuts off with the complete last ram exposed. It will no longer go all the way down. Is there an adjustment to get it to go down farther?

I don't know if the antenna's have been redesigned or not but I had the same problem with a '73 Eldo. What I did was remove the antenna & motor. The motor case had a seam around the circumfrence and it was crimped so it was not meant to be serviced but that never stopped me. With a screwdriver and a hammer I was able to split the case. It is hard to explain but there was a sort of star wheel with a pin that stuck down and caught a wheel below on every revolution. Somewhat like the timer mechanism on a mechanial water softener, if you've ever seen one. Anyway. the pin was broken off. All I had to do was drill a hole where the pin was and press fit a 16d nail cut to the proper length. Worked like a charm. Yours may be the same. If it is you'll understand what I am talking about after some exploratory surgery. Open it up and see what makes it tick. The worst that can happen is you have to replace it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Larry, that seems to make the most sense. I might give it a whirl when i have some free time..... which is close to never. I am curious to see if you're right about this though. Meanwhile I'm having an interior rear window mounted antenna ordered and mounted this Tuesday. No moving parts. I like that. Thanks for the insight however.

-kg

206,000 miles

"Burns" rubber

Archived