CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2008 Impala LS

So far, the car is very good. Handles well even with the cheesy factory tires. Cornering can get a bit hairy as the body of the car tends to lean a bit. There are a few glitches so far but that's why GM gives a comprehensive warranty.

1. The steering column has a "click" in it. The car is going to a dealership on Saturday so they can have a look at it. It seems the steering column issue is not uncommon with Impalas but it is repairable, so be it. The steering also vibrates as you turn a corner or bend in a road. Could be the tires or it could be the column.

2. It appears that this car is losing antifreeze. My incredibly sensitive nose detected the odor of antifreeze when I was putting on the front license plate a few weeks ago. I marked the level on the recovery tank and refilled it to the HOT mark. I bought a gallon of genuine GM dexcool from a dealership since there seems to be some commotion about mixing different types of dexcool. No overflow has occurred but the level is down a bit. I used a measuring cup with distilled water to attain a 50/50 mix which I added to the recovery tank. I also topped off the engine at the filling cap up to the neck as it states in the owner's manual. The radiators are sealed on this car, the radiator cap is at the highest point above the engine and mounted directly to the engine so if you open the radiator cap and look down the neck and see antifreeze I'm assuming this tells you that the entire engine is properly submerged in antifreeze. I'm told by other Impala owners that this is not a new design but since this is a new car to me, it's my first time seeing it. I'll see what the dealership says about the antifreeze loss.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

http://www.imcool.com/articles/antifreeze-...dexcool2007.php

This is an interesting site in general but there are a few pages of information regarding Dexcool.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

How is the get up and go and what kinda mileage are you getting? I'm guessing it's a 3.5?

I'm still looking at 'em but have to do something with the STS first.

Anybody wanna buy a HIGH mileage Caddy cheap?

How is the get up and go and what kinda mileage are you getting? I'm guessing it's a 3.5?

I'm still looking at 'em but have to do something with the STS first.

Anybody wanna buy a HIGH mileage Caddy cheap?

Mileage is pretty good considering it's a six cylinder, 3.5 litre engine (210 cubic inch). I'm getting about 17~18 mpg with mostly local driving on regular gasoline. On the highway it will climb up to about 27 mph. the EPA's new mileage numbers for this flexfuel engine are:

E85 14 City, 16 combined, 21 Hwy

Gasoline 18 City, 22 combined, 29 Hwy

So I'm pretty much getting the city mileage but the highway mileage is still falling a bit short.

The engine is very peppy and quiet, a good strong performer. Unfortunately, it was mated to a transmission that I consider "blah", but remember I have the bottom of the line LS model. This car doesn't even have ABS brakes which is OK since I never liked ABS anyway. The overdrive function of this transmission is a real sour puss. It's finicky. You have to press down on the gas peddle "just so", like Goldy Locks and the 3 bears, not too much, not too little, but just right, otherwise, the transmission over drive pretty much just craps out on you, the RPMS of the engine go sky high but the car won't move. Once you get used to the quirks of the overdrive it's a decent performer but I've quickly learned that I need to judge my entrance onto highways differently because the transmission's over drive is untrustworthy for emergency run ups. (Situations were you have to floor the gas to avoid an accident). When I see the dealership this Saturday I'll discuss this with the service manager. If it's the way the transmission is designed then the car is a driver but not a performer. If the transmission has something wrong with it, hopefully it will get repaired and I'll see a driver become a performer.

1. The steering column has a "click" in it. The car is going to a dealership on Saturday so they can have a look at it. It seems the steering column issue is not uncommon with Impalas but it is repairable, so be it. The steering also vibrates as you turn a corner or bend in a road. Could be the tires or it could be the column.

My new/used 06 Lacrosse came with a clunk in the column at only 20k miles. They had to replace the shaft. Apparently U-joint problems abound with these. I was at the chevy dealer a few weeks ago and the service writer had one laying on his desk - probably somebody's second or third one.

Its amazing that GM can't put out a decent column after building like a gazillion of them......

My new/used 06 Lacrosse came with a clunk in the column at only 20k miles. They had to replace the shaft. Apparently U-joint problems abound with these. I was at the chevy dealer a few weeks ago and the service writer had one laying on his desk - probably somebody's second or third one.

Its amazing that GM can't put out a decent column after building like a gazillion of them......

The steering column issues goes back MANY years. My 1983 Celebrity had a failing steering column. I had it replaced with an aftermarket column and it was fine after that.

Just got back from the dealership.

1. The steering rack has to be replaced. It's leaking. Since it's a 2008, they don't have the parts in stock so they are going to order them and I'll bring the car back. GM pays for the rental while they fix the car. Hopefully I'll have it back the same day.

2. The smell of antifreeze my bloodhound nose picked up was the recovery tank leaking every so slightly along the seam. They are ordering a new recovery tank which they will install at the same time they do the steering rack.

3. My nose picked up the smell of burning oil but I couldn't find a leak. They found a plastic bag welded to my exhaust system. The plastic comes from oil so apparently that's what I smelled. They pulled off most of the melted bag, the rest will eventually burn off... :lol: :lol:

4. The transmission is apparently fine. I had a feeling it might be the driver :lol: and not the trans but I figured they should look at it anyway. They took it for a test drive and said it was fine. I just have to learn the new shift pattern for this trans and of course, I'll report back.

Marika,

If the Impala has the FIVE SPEED... there is TORQUE MANAGEMENT built into the ECM and the TCM.

This can cause a slight delay in downshifting, when you are just driving along and then suddenly PUNCH IT.

Some people say that it takes WAY TOO LONG to actually DOWNSHIFT and GO.

With the small V6, it will also DOWNSHIFT pretty easily, just going up and down hills, if you crowd it a little to maintain your speed, which (of course) will make your RPM's jump up.

I am sure you have already figured this all out, so I am probably being redundant. :lol::lol::lol:

I think you will really like the car, once you get the few kinks out.

On both of my 2006 DTS's, I had them back to the dealer a few times to iron out minor things.

After that, they have been great.

Posted Image

Marika,

If the Impala has the FIVE SPEED... there is TORQUE MANAGEMENT built into the ECM and the TCM.

This can cause a slight delay in downshifting, when you are just driving along and then suddenly PUNCH IT.

Some people say that it takes WAY TOO LONG to actually DOWNSHIFT and GO.

With the small V6, it will also DOWNSHIFT pretty easily, just going up and down hills, if you crowd it a little to maintain your speed, which (of course) will make your RPM's jump up.

I am sure you have already figured this all out, so I am probably being redundant. :lol::lol::lol:

I think you will really like the car, once you get the few kinks out.

On both of my 2006 DTS's, I had them back to the dealer a few times to iron out minor things.

After that, they have been great.

I have shift on the column and it says P R N D 3 2 1 so I'm guessing it's not a five speed. I just came back from my mother's house on the Parkway. Was doing 70-80 mph and getting 26 mpg. Car handled very well but I did feel the steering column vibrate a bit every so often so while the car is still steering, the column is giving signs that something is not right so the trip to the dealership to replace it comes at the right time. I'll let everyone know how the car is after the dealership fixes it.

I have shift on the column and it says P R N D 3 2 1 so I'm guessing it's not a five speed.

It is not a 5 speed.

What you have is a "3 speed with overdrive" transmission (overdrive is a 4th gear ratio) with torque converter lockup; pretty standard GM offering for many years.

An obvious delay in power-on downshifting results from the PCM having to unlock the torque converter before the transmission can downshift to whatever gear ratio the PCM concludes is required.

Here's one scenario: driving along a flat level highway at more than 45 MPH. At that speed, the transmission will be operating in overdrive and the torque converter will be locked. You realize you need to increase speed to make a safe lane change. Hitting the throttle causes the PCM to command the torque converter to unlock followed by a command to shift to 3rd gear, possibly followed by a command to shift to 2nd gear (depending on circumstances).

All the electronic commands are calculated and delivered at the speed of light, but the mechanical components inside the tansmission require much more time to change positions. You can expect a delay.

The sequence of A) unlock torque converter, B) downshift from overdrive, C) downshift to 3rd gear can seem to take forever in a vehicle such as an S10 extended cab with the 4 cylinder engine!!

Enjoy your V6; your driving experience muscle memory will quickly adjust to how the car behaves.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Does your car have the Goodyear Integritys?

If so, expect ongoing balance problems with the tires.

I had them on my LaCrosse until last Thursday when I replaced with a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4's. At 36k it seemed worth it to go ahead and replace, rather than continuing to play the balance game. So far, I'm liking the new ride.

My column is a little bumpy at times too - even after having the shaft replaced.

Does your car have the Goodyear Integritys?

If so, expect ongoing balance problems with the tires.

I had them on my LaCrosse until last Thursday when I replaced with a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4's. At 36k it seemed worth it to go ahead and replace, rather than continuing to play the balance game. So far, I'm liking the new ride.

My column is a little bumpy at times too - even after having the shaft replaced.

Yes, the car came with those Integrity tires and even checking the tirerack.com ratings those tires are not considered very good. I'm planning to put new tires on the car. I was looking at some Pirelli tires as replacements.

Took the Impala to the dealership today for the work. They installed a new antifreeze recovery tank and a new steering column. Car handles VERY tight now. It's a world of difference in the steering from what it was before the repairs. They also rotated the tires which is the only thing they charged me for, $19.95 plus tax.

So far, I'm happy with the car. Driving to and from the dealership was a nightmare though. Road repairs in progress all over the place so loads of traffic and slow downs.

Took the Impala to the dealership today for the work. They installed a new antifreeze recovery tank and a new steering column. Car handles VERY tight now. It's a world of difference in the steering from what it was before the repairs. They also rotated the tires which is the only thing they charged me for, $19.95 plus tax.

So far, I'm happy with the car. Driving to and from the dealership was a nightmare though. Road repairs in progress all over the place so loads of traffic and slow downs.

Marika,

Glad it is driving better for you.

I had been wondering about the steering ... the way you described it as kinda loose feeling. :D

Both of the Impala's I rented ... had very good steering.

One was JUST A LITTLE better than the other... the better one had Michelin tires... the other one had goodyear. Wasn't a REAL BIG difference... but you COULD feel it.

Posted Image

I had a Malibu as a rental, GM has a contract with Enterprise here in New Jersey. When you take a car into a dealership for warranty repair, you get a rental for free, sans the $5.00 "homeland security fee". :huh:

The Malibu had a lovely interior but I'm not interior obsessed so when I stepped on the gas and the car started to move, I was unimpressed. Slow on the take off and apparently no over drive. The Malibu I got was a driver but definitely not a performer. Probably designed that was since it was a rental.

Archived