CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Coolant change on an older Cadillac

KHE

My '93 Fleetwood was due for a coolant change so I decided to do the job today... That car takes the old green, silicated coolant but I couldn't find the proper coolant anywhere. All the new coolants are "add to any antifreeze" and are silicate free. I bought some coolant but can't help but wonder about those who re-engineer the Northstar cooling system by using green coolant when the available green coolant (which is more yellow in color than green... ) is silicate free...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The newer coolants are OK for the older cars but you must change it every 2 years instead of 5 because the new OAT corrosion inhibitors won't last as long when there is any trace of the old silicate-based antifreeze.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I know I won't be able to realize the extended change interval due to the silicates in the system but I'm used to changing the coolant on that car every two years anyway. I would have rather used traditional silicated antifreeze but could not find it anywhere.

I get a chuckle every time I buy antifreeze and notice the pre-mixed coolant is DOUBLE the price of mixing it 50/50 with distilled water yourself...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

"I get a chuckle every time I buy antifreeze and notice the pre-mixed coolant is DOUBLE the price of mixing it 50/50 with distilled water yourself..."

I have noted the same thing with buying round-up (Weed killer) ...

I buy it on a large scale and when they went to only selling it as Round-Up Plus

and increased the price by 20+ %, by adding what amounts to 2 dollars worth of

dish detergent, while actually selling you less of their real product, which is

already over priced, because it is only salt that you are using anyway ...

but, I didn't exactly get a chuckle over it ...

Archived