CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Crankshaft Position System Variation Learning Procedure

I was doing some research and found that some people say that this "Crankshaft Position System Variation Learning Procedure " has to be done when replacing the crankshaft sensors. the procedure is as follows

"Set the parking brake.

Block the drive wheels.

Ensure the hood is closed.

With the scan tool, monitor for DTCs. If a DTC is set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List/Type before proceeding.

Start the engine and allow engine coolant temperature to reach at least 70°C (158°F).

Turn OFF the ignition.

Select and enable the crankshaft position variation learn procedure with the scan tool.

Start the vehicle.

Apply and hold the service brake pedal firmly.

Ensure the transaxle is in park.

Increase accelerator pedal position until the fuel cutoff is reached at 5150 RPM. Immediately release the accelerator pedal after fuel cutoff is reached.

The crankshaft position system variation compensating values are learned when the RPM decreases back to idle. If the procedure terminates.

Observe DTC status for DTC P1336.

If the scan tool indicates that DTC P1336 ran and passed, the crankshaft position system variation learn procedure is complete. If the scan tool indicates DTC P1336 failed or not ran, check for other DTCs. If no DTCs other than P1336 are set, repeat the crankshaft position system variation learn procedure as necessary. "

My question is, has anyone done this procedure before? is it Necessary to perform this when you replace the sensors? This info was obtained from Caddyforums.com.. im not sure how reliable the info is, thats why i am asking you guys.

That procedure that you cited IS in fact in the service manual, see this its the last step, and its the first time I have ever heard about it

Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Replacement

Removal Procedure

Raise and support the vehicle.

Remove the crankshaft sensor electrical connector. For specific CKP sensor identification, refer to CKP, EOL, EOP comploc - 2000 K .

Remove the crankshaft retaining bolt.

Remove the crankshaft sensor.

Installation Procedure

Important

Inspect the crankshaft sensor o-ring for wear or damage. If a problem is found, replace the o-ring.

Lubricate the crankshaft sensor o-ring with clean engine oil.

Important

Be sure to fully seat the CKP sensor into the engine block. Failure to fully seat the CKP sensor may cause a CKP sensor DTC to set.

Install the crankshaft sensor and the retaining bolt. Tighten

Tighten the retaining bolt between 8-11N·m (70-100 lb in).

Install the crankshaft sensor electrical connector.

Lower the vehicle.

Operate the engine and inspect crankshaft sensor for engine oil leaks.

Perform the CKP System Variation Learn Procedure .

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

That procedure that you cited IS in fact in the service manual, see this its the last step, and its the first time I have ever heard about it

Removal Procedure

Remove the crankshaft sensor electrical connector. For specific CKP sensor identification, refer to CKP, EOL, EOP comploc - 2000 K .

Installation Procedure

Important

Inspect the crankshaft sensor o-ring for wear or damage. If a problem is found, replace the o-ring.

Important

Be sure to fully seat the CKP sensor into the engine block. Failure to fully seat the CKP sensor may cause a CKP sensor DTC to set.

Lower the vehicle.

Do you thnk the procedure is possible without a scan tool? or is there something that has to be selected with the scan tool to begin programming?

Removal Procedure

Installation Procedure

Important

Important

Lower the vehicle.

Do you thnk the procedure is possible without a scan tool? or is there something that has to be selected with the scan tool to begin programming?

Replaced both of the CKP on my 03 deville a few months ago and never did that last step. Haven't had a problem with the car yet.....

Removal Procedure

Installation Procedure

Important

Important

Lower the vehicle.

Replaced both of the CKP on my 03 deville a few months ago and never did that last step. Haven't had a problem with the car yet.....

Thanks.. i'm hoping i dont have to either... dont have a scan tool. i tohught it was weird because as much knowledge as there is on this site i didnt see anyone that had mentioned it. thanksfor the input.

How long did the CKP's take you? did you remove your oil filter adaptor?

Removal Procedure

Installation Procedure

Important

Important

Lower the vehicle.

Thanks.. i'm hoping i dont have to either... dont have a scan tool. i tohught it was weird because as much knowledge as there is on this site i didnt see anyone that had mentioned it. thanksfor the input.

Took me awile since it was hard to get my hands up there. I tried to take them out without taking off the oil filter but the filter was just in the way so I ended up taking it off....I suggest taking it off since it gives you a little more room

Removal Procedure

Installation Procedure

Important

Important

Lower the vehicle.

Took me awile since it was hard to get my hands up there. I tried to take them out without taking off the oil filter but the filter was just in the way so I ended up taking it off....I suggest taking it off since it gives you a little more room

Removal Procedure

Installation Procedure

Important

Important

Lower the vehicle.

yea.. i already decided to take it off just wanted to know your process... thanks

I HATE being right all the time, :D (j/k, too much temptation not to say something)

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Just replace the crank sensors and run with it. Really dont need the learn procedure.

PCM will figure it out.

That is good to know Logan, Dana found that learn procedure and I don't think we had ever heard of it before..

Archived