CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Suggestions for Multimeter

It's once again time to add to my toolbox and so I turn to all the brilliant minds here on Caddyinfo.com for their opinions and suggestions for a good multimeter.

Don't be shy!! :P

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Multimeters are multifarious. You can get one for under $10 in a bubble pack at an auto parts store, Radio Shack, or hardware store. These are OK if all you want to do is check continuity, read voltages, and check light bulbs.

The next step up is the $30 to $50 range. If you plan on using it a lot you should consider this category.

Serious long-term DIY in the home and car, and perhaps more demanding work like actually reading resistances and repairing appliances will have you wanting a digital multimeter. These start around $30 but a good one is on the order of $100. I like Fluke but this is a rugged, lifetime-guarantee product line.

So, it really depends on what you want to do with a multimeter.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Multimeters are multifarious. You can get one for under $10 in a bubble pack at an auto parts store, Radio Shack, or hardware store. These are OK if all you want to do is check continuity, read voltages, and check light bulbs.

The next step up is the $30 to $50 range. If you plan on using it a lot you should consider this category.

Serious long-term DIY in the home and car, and perhaps more demanding work like actually reading resistances and repairing appliances will have you wanting a digital multimeter. These start around $30 but a good one is on the order of $100. I like Fluke but this is a rugged, lifetime-guarantee product line.

So, it really depends on what you want to do with a multimeter.

Talk with me more about digital multimeters, such as the Fluke. This is where my interest is.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

That one begs more questions, Marika. You have identified yourself as a Novice with electronics simply by asking the question.

Tell us how you expect to use a multimeter.

As a first step you must decide if a parts store bubble wrap no-name analog display will do what you need; as in display voltage (both AC and DC) plus display some reasonably accurate measure of resistance.

Even the bottom of the line digital display meters have a few more bells and whistles like a HOLD function and a MAX function, frequency display, a tone to indicate continuity or open across a diode junction.

If you think you will eventually require more of a meter, step up to a model that includes the ability to display current (Amps).

The analog vs. digital display models both have limitations in my experience. The analog meter display movement mechanical arrangement is fragile and the meter can be destroyed simply by dropping to a hard surface. The digital display meters are slower to display the final value; most annoying when trying to measure the voltage to a turn signal socket for instance.

The meter I reach for first is a Greenlee DM-60. Lowes is the retailer for Greenlee. I also have a digital Fluke model in the garage (somewhere).

Good luck....

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

That one begs more questions, Marika. You have identified yourself as a Novice with electronics simply by asking the question.

Tell us how you expect to use a multimeter.

As a first step you must decide if a parts store bubble wrap no-name analog display will do what you need; as in display voltage (both AC and DC) plus display some reasonably accurate measure of resistance.

Even the bottom of the line digital display meters have a few more bells and whistles like a HOLD function and a MAX function, frequency display, a tone to indicate continuity or open across a diode junction.

If you think you will eventually require more of a meter, step up to a model that includes the ability to display current (Amps).

The analog vs. digital display models both have limitations in my experience. The analog meter display movement mechanical arrangement is fragile and the meter can be destroyed simply by dropping to a hard surface. The digital display meters are slower to display the final value; most annoying when trying to measure the voltage to a turn signal socket for instance.

The meter I reach for first is a Greenlee DM-60. Lowes is the retailer for Greenlee. I also have a digital Fluke model in the garage (somewhere).

Good luck....

I was thinking of Fluke or Equus. Greenlee is another to consider. I want a digital readout, the bigger the better for my aging eyes.... :lol: Maybe the better question to ask is: What meters have you encountered that you absolutely HATED, thought they were junk, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3320-Auto-Rang...f=pd_sbs_auto_2

This one looks very interesting. What do you think?

At $25 the Equus won't be rugged or have a lifetime warranty. On the other hand, with good care and careful use it could be just what you need at the right price.

For $15:

For $40:

For $60:

For $127:

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Mine is the $30 digital from Menards. Serves my limited electrical knowledge. I like the continuity tone and the temperature probe.

These guys have a higher price than Amazon but their page has a lot of infomration:

You can also go straight to the source for information:

The Fluke 88 Automotive DMM might be better than the 115 because it's focused on lower voltages and higher currents and other things that you see in automotive work. But, its $400+ :huh:

I bought the Equus 3340 because it seemed priced OK ($85 at amazon) and it has automatic ranging which is one less thing to think about. It seems to do alot though I'm not really interested in the features such as reading RPMs. I'm pretty careful with my tools but even if I drop it and break it, it didn't cost a fortune. Thanks everyone! We can get together someday and play with each other's tools. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Marika,

Dunno if you'd appreciate this, but I thought I'd send it along just in case. Like so many other things, it's easily deletable. :D

"Electrical Diagnosis How-To:"

http://www.924.org/techsection/elect_diag.htm

EDIT: I didn't realize "for dummies" was in the title; nothing bad was intended!

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Marika,

Dunno if you'd appreciate this, but I thought I'd send it along just in case. Like so many other things, it's easily deletable. :D

"Electrical Diagnosis How-To:"

<a href="http://www.924.org/techsection/elect_diag.htm" target="_blank">http://www.924.org/techsection/elect_diag.htm</a>

EDIT: I didn't realize "for dummies" was in the title; nothing bad was intended!

Regards,

Warren

Thanks for the info! I've bookmarked it.

Archived