CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

98 Deville Running Sluggish ande missing

amber

My 98 Deville is Running Sluggish and missing. It has been going on for about 2 weeks. The gas mileage is ok, still around 20-21 mpg. The car has several codes but has been piching these codes for awhile, before it started running poorly.

Codes are:

PCM PO404 Histroy, PO 463 history, ACM B1341. Servie engine light is not currently on but comes on occasionally. (Since it runs fine I usually just clear the codes.)

Untril recently the car has always run great. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Are you having any problems starting it hot or cold? Any black out of your exhaust just after it starts? The difficulty here is trying to determine if this is an ignition or fuel problem

Tonight in the dark, take off the vanity cover, start the car, lift the hood, and in the dark look for arching and listen for the snapping of high voltage, look at the ignition wires and the coils. If a tune up has not been done lately or the plugs have good mileage on them, I would replace the plugs, you can't check them like the old days, they are coated with an anti-cease and you disturb it and the plugs could cease in the head. Inspect the ignition wires also, you have a 97, if these parts are original, its time.

P0404 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Open Position Performance (this needs to be researched to see what it means), and open EGR at idle will cause your symptom, but I am not sure if that is what this code is saying. It could mean that when the EGR is open the PCM is not detecting expected performance. Ill check the manual later

P0463 - Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Voltage

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

P0404 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Open Position Performance (this needs to be researched to see what it means), and open EGR at idle will cause your symptom, but I am not sure if that is what this code is saying. It could mean that when the EGR is open the PCM is not detecting expected performance. Ill check the manual later
I'm still not sure if a 97 engine has them or not, but this sounds like the plugged "mouse holes" that the guru used to talk about. That would be my guess anyway.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I'm still not sure if a 97 engine has them or not, but this sounds like the plugged "mouse holes" that the guru used to talk about. That would be my guess anyway.

I believe it was just the 93 & 94 models which had the mouse holes in the intake manifold.

IPB Image

Archived