CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trans. clunks & Gas Smell when engine starts - '01 DeVille

I have an '01 Cad DeVille. 88,000 miles. Lately, when I start the car, there is a distinct smell of gas which I never noticed before.

Also, when I shift from Drive to Reverse or Reverse to Drive, I hear a metal on metal clunk in the transmission.

Do I have any problems here?

There is a neon sign on my forehead that only mechanics can read. It says "Dumb about Cars!"

Thanks,

Marian H.

When you smell gas do you mean from within the Cadillac with the windows rolled up? I suppose this could indicate the car is starting rich, perhaps due to a leaky injector, or fuel pressure issue.

Have you pulled the codes? http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

The clunk on shifting from reverse to drive strikes me as something that is happening due to wear, but that would last in that condition the rest of the life of the car without a problem. I would concentrate on the gas smell issue.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Also, when I shift from Drive to Reverse or Reverse to Drive, I hear a metal on metal clunk in the transmission.

Possibly motor mount? Have someone power brake the car in drive and in reverse while you look under the hood. Look for excessive movement of the motor, particularly in the front.

Jonah

Is your car hard starting when hot, but not when cold? That, combined with the gas smell, probably means that the FPR is bad.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

When you smell gas do you mean from within the Cadillac with the windows rolled up? I suppose this could indicate the car is starting rich, perhaps due to a leaky injector, or fuel pressure issue.

Have you pulled the codes? http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

The clunk on shifting from reverse to drive strikes me as something that is happening due to wear, but that would last in that condition the rest of the life of the car without a problem. I would concentrate on the gas smell issue.

Thanks No. 3 in Texas!

Archived