CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

it is starting to get hot

Hi all,

I have a 97 deville and yesterday for the first time since i bought the car in 97 i got the a/c refrigerant low message. I bought a can of 134a refrigerant and have already been reading about how to recharge the system. Such as, how to delete the codes and putting the can in the low side. I just had two questions before i started.

1. What is bleeding the line and how could i accomplish this.

2. How much of pressure should i put in.

I dont know much about cars so any help is welcome,

Thanks

The proper thing to do is to take you car to an AC shop, have them EVACUATE and RECHARGE your system, you will be cold again and it will be done right. The evacuating pulls a vacuum, removes moisture and you can have them give it an oil charge. I drive a 96 and I have mine evacuated and recharged every couple of years and it freezes me out

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

why is it low? tiny leak or has something finally failed? could be a compressor shaft leak or broken hose or even a simple o-ring. you might get lucky and fix it with a simple evac-recharge.

It's not uncommon for a 11 year old car to need a refrigerant top-off. Check the compressor for oily/greasy residue - look at the compressor body as well as the clutch face. If you see greasy/oily residue, either the shaft seal or the compressor body o-rings are leaking.

If the compressor is dry and there is still a refrigerant charge in the system, you can add a can of R-134a to top it off. You need to burp the air from the charging hose line. I always use a manifold gage set and draw a vacuum on the gage lines prior to hooking up the refrigerant. With a short auto-parts store charging hose you could wear gloves and open the valve on the can tap until you see a small amount of refrigerant escaping from the charging hose and then quickly hook it up to the car. If the charging hose has a valve at the vehicle connection end, close that valve, open the refrigerant supply valve on the can tap and then slightly open the valve at the opposite end of the hose until a trace amount of refrigerant escapes. Then quickly close the valve, connect it to the vehicle and then open the valve at the end of the hose that is attached to the car.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your replies,

I took it to the A/C shop and they evacuated and recharged the system it was $60. They said they couldnt find a leak but there was no refrigerant in the system, and it had to go somewhere. So im guessing there is a very slow leak. It blows ice cold for now and ill have to see if it runs out again but i hope not.

Fred

Archived