CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

60 point octane booster on 02 sts?

mywifests

Just wondering if its a bad idea to fill up my tank with 94 octane gasoline, then add an octane booster that increases the octane level by 60 points!!! yes, 6 FULL OCTANE NUMBERS, making the fuel in my tank 100 Octane. I have a 2002 Seville STS, very good condition with about 100,000km on it, thats about 50, 60 k miles.

The octane booster is NOS brand, racing formula, i bought it about a year ago, but don't see it on the shelves anymore. The link below i'm pretty sure is the one i got.

http://yahoo.shoptoit.ca/shop/product--cat...Id_3143705.html

Please give me some advice, I don't want to damage the engine or any internals.

Why do you want to add the booster? Are you experiencing any problems? Detonation/Knock?

I have read things both for and against these products, and I tend to believe the articles against.

Are you looking for more power? Octane does not always equate to more power, but it does allow you to run different configurations in your engine, none of which you can easily change on your N*.

Just trying to figure out your thinking.

Jonah

i'm not looking for anything in particular, just to see what it would do for my engine, whether it's performance-wise or anything else. just curious. and is it safe to use something close to 100 octane in my engine?

i'm not looking for anything in particular, just to see what it would do for my engine, whether it's performance-wise or anything else. just curious. and is it safe to use something close to 100 octane in my engine?

He who seekith trouble findith same . . .

You seem to be suggesting you'd just like to play around to see if you might find something the rest of the known universe has not yet discovered. Trust me, you won't.

It is safe to use what the manufacturer recommends. Anything else is a gamble.

Use a Tier 2 gasoline if it really concerns you.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

For what it is worth, when the car mags tested octane booster they found that it had about 1/10 the effect advertised when it had any effect at all.

Many of the products tested were simply useless.

Most Cadillacs have 2 spark/timing maps available to deal with different gas quality, lower and higher octane. The higher octane map is used for good quality premium fuel. The engine did not unfortunately also come with a spark/timing map in case you put in fuel with an octane higher than premium.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived