CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

91 Eldo Lost my headlights!!

bschelle

Driving home last night I hit my brights and lost all of my exterior lights. Dims, brights and parking. The turn signals and brake lights work. I had a new dimmer switch so I put it in this morning with no results. The fuses are all OK and there were no codes. What do you think?

I have information from my 1997 FSM that is probably accurate for your 1991 Eldorado.

The headlamps (HDLPS) fuse is a 20A in the engine compartment fuse/relay center, and you already checked that. All the headlights have separate 10 A fuses in the same block and you already checked that. There is another 10A fuse marked "MIRROR FUSE" that is necessary for high beam; check this one if you haven't already. Also the 10 A "RADIO/PHONE" fuse provides power to the high/low headlamp relay. Etc. Check all of them.

Here's what may help you. In the trunk compartment relay center, there is a Park Lamps Relay that could be a problem. There are other relays and fuses in the trunk compartment fuse/relay block. This is under the felt trunk lining on the seat back. Check them all.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I have information from my 1997 FSM that is probably accurate for your 1991 Eldorado.

The headlamps (HDLPS) fuse is a 20A in the engine compartment fuse/relay center, and you already checked that. All the headlights have separate 10 A fuses in the same block and you already checked that. There is another 10A fuse marked "MIRROR FUSE" that is necessary for high beam; check this one if you haven't already. Also the 10 A "RADIO/PHONE" fuse provides power to the high/low headlamp relay. Etc. Check all of them.

Here's what may help you. In the trunk compartment relay center, there is a Park Lamps Relay that could be a problem. There are other relays and fuses in the trunk compartment fuse/relay block. This is under the felt trunk lining on the seat back. Check them all.

Your 97 is different then my 91. There is a fuse center under the hood on the drivers side behind the headlights and the fuse block is in the glove box. I pulled every fuse there is in both locations and all are good.

Possible dimmer switch was not adjusted properly or is faulty, chances are when you hit dimmer switch and this all happened then it's probably has to do with dimmer switch circuit. Pull column down and start simple with a test light at dimmer switch, never use Autozone parts or any chinese imitation.

This won't be of any help to you; but I have a recurring dream that I'm driving along at night and all my lights go out. It's so real that the next morning I'm still thinking I have to get to the dealer to have my lights fixed.

Ever since the first time I had the dream, I've been staying out of bars for fear that the dream is an omen somebody is going to "put my lights out."

• 2 years later...

Would you be able to tell me where the fusible link was that you replaced, or where I should look? I just purchased an 88 Eldorado and I seem to be having a similar problem. Thank you.

It was on the right side just about in the middle of the fender just below the lip were the hood rests. There is a plastic cover and under it are a few links for other things. I do not have the car here at the moment but if you need more help I will be glad to get more info. I did it quite a while ago and do not remember all of how I did it.

Archived