CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Check Brake

Well I was out driving and I put on my brakes a little firmer and all of a sudden I coudn't brake sharp. The "Check Brake" popped up in the DIC and then the "Traction Control" light popped on. Now my car barely brakes and the car only accelerates in 2nd like the traction control is on.

Also code TC0083 was displayed.

Any help before I take it to the mechanic.

Thanks

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

TC0083 means there's a low brake fluid condition. It sounds like a brake line failed and there's braking ability on only two wheels. Clean the fluid reservoir on the master and see which end (front or rear) is low on fluid; I recall the front connection feeds the left rear and front right circuits. Also look for brake fluid underneath the car. Sometimes, out of position cowl insulation will hold moisture against a line. The plastic shield under the driver's seat area, where the lines cross from the inner floor rail out to the rocker, acts as a dirt trap. Also, the area above the fuel filter (just ahead of the left rear wheel) is prone to rusting. It's important to flush/inspect these areas if the car is exposed to road salt.

Traction control means T/C is disabled which would account for the second gear starts. There is a different meaning for a steady brake light and a flashing brake light if memory serves me correctly but it is explained in your owners manual. Can't find TC0083 in my '97 manual. Must be different for a '96.

If my brake line was bad or has no fluid would this cause the traction control to stop working?

I'm really worried and hope the whole Traction Control system is not pooched. I think that has $$$$$ written all over it.

Forgot to mention before: Traction Control light on

Brake light on

"Check Brake Fluid Level" in DIC

Any help would be great

Thanks,

-W.Kingdon

Have you checked for fluid leaks and topped off the master cylinder reservour ?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If my brake line was bad or has no fluid would this cause the traction control to stop working?

I'm really worried and hope the whole Traction Control system is not pooched. I think that has $$$$$ written all over it.

Forgot to mention before: Traction Control light on

Brake light on

"Check Brake Fluid Level" in DIC

Any help would be great

Thanks,

T/C is tied to the brakes system. If there is a problem with the brake system the T/C will be disabled. It is likely that your only problem is low brake fluid. top it off and clear the codes. See what happens. You may need to bleed the brakes if it got realy low and you got air in the system. That could be your braking problem. Then check for leaks. There is there is a reason it got so low. It should not get that low in normal service. I don't think your T/C has "pooched".

Thanks guys I'll check the fluid level after work, and will reply later.

Travis

-W.Kingdon

• 1 year later...

How did you end up fixing this Cupillac?

Mine is doing this and the master cylinder is full.

Any idea about how to fix this?

When I tried to add brake fluid it was already full so I topped it off a little.

50,000 on the front brake pads and the rears have 40,000 miles on them.

The brakes work normal.

Archived