CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'93 Eldo Rear Cabin Noise

Captainhepp

Hi all,

I have a '93 Eldorado in exellent shape and just over 90,000 miles on it now. I've had it around six months and have become more or less acustomed to it's little noises. I have to wonder, though, if I can make them go away.

There are two noises that come to mind:

The first is a fairly high-freq (mettle-on-mettle) squeak that seems to be coming from the trunk. I thought it might have been some of the hardware for the back seat, but after pulling it all out and putting it back in (with very sparing use of grease), the squeak is still there. It is ever-present when going over bumps, gravel especially. It also seems to be temperature related. If it's cold out (think 30-45 *F), the squeak either isn't there at all (even on gravel), or it's very minimal. But if it's warm out (or warm in the cabin due more than an hour of driving), it's signifigantly louder and more sensative to every little bump in the road... to the point where it can become very audible even over the sound system. Could a loose trunk release do that? I thought it unlikely. I also tried some sparing use of WD-49 around the hinges and springs, but to no avail.

The other noise is a kind of.... clicking? Ticking? I'm not sure how to describe it. Almost like a windshield flexing very slightly due to a sudden temperature change. I am suspicious of a poorly mounted rear windshield. But I am also suspicious of leather on leather rubbing. This noise really doesn't bother me anywhere near as much, though. I can live with this one.

Thanks in advance!

For the sqeatk pull the trunk liner and look for loose bolts on anything removable under the back seat. Check the edges of the trunk lid for any sign of metal-to-metal contact. And, put a little lithium grease (ball joint lubricant or other heavy lube; I use motorcycle chain lube because I can spray it) on the trunk hinges.

Check the spare tire cover, and the spare tire. The spare hold-down bolt can squeak if it isn't really tight. This might account for your ticking noise, too -- or possibly the battery clamp on your jumper cables clicking on something.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Check the electronics modules that are mounted to the bulkhead behind the rear seat back. My 93 has one that works loose and rattles.

Thanks, but when I pulled out the rear seat looking for anything funny I did think to check those. I remember actually being very surprised at how tight they were... I might look again though.... just for grins... :-)

I also sprayed a little WD-40 into the trunk latch (upper and lower), but it still squeaks. Bummer.

For the sqeatk pull the trunk liner and look for loose bolts on anything removable under the back seat. Check the edges of the trunk lid for any sign of metal-to-metal contact. And, put a little lithium grease (ball joint lubricant or other heavy lube; I use motorcycle chain lube because I can spray it) on the trunk hinges.

Check the spare tire cover, and the spare tire. The spare hold-down bolt can squeak if it isn't really tight. This might account for your ticking noise, too -- or possibly the battery clamp on your jumper cables clicking on something.

I never thought of pulling out the trunk liner. I spent better than an hour laying in it what with pulling out the back seat and sticking it back in... but never thought of pulling it out! I did think to spray the hinges and springs, though. I used WD-40, but I do have some motorbike chain lube somewhere (Dad owns a Honda V65 Sabre in great shape). Thanks!

The squeaks that you hear when going over bumps could be rear stabilizer bushings - you can replace them or lube them with silicone grease. Do not use petroleum grease as it will attack the rubber. Remove the rear tires and you'll see the suspension bushings.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

HI, I agree with KHE that it is probably coming from any of the rubber bushings or maybe a rubber fastener for the

emergency brake wire cable. If you can get one or two persons to help you to move the car up and down to copy the

movement on the road and if you at the same time put your hand or fingers carefully on the different bushings in the rear you can probably feel which one is squeaking. /Jan L

HI, I agree with KHE that it is probably coming from any of the rubber bushings or maybe a rubber fastener for the

emergency brake wire cable. If you can get one or two persons to help you to move the car up and down to copy the

movement on the road and if you at the same time put your hand or fingers carefully on the different bushings in the rear you can probably feel which one is squeaking. /Jan L

Hey all, thanks for the replies!

The squeak that I was reporting was actually solved by tightening/lubing the screw jack in the spare tire compartment. The screw holding it in was loose (thanks Jims_97_ETC!).

HOWEVER.....

I do also have another noise (that I would classify as a groan/creak) from my left front wheel whenever I go over a substantial bump. I think it is in the strut somewhere. So you all may have solved my next issue even before I asked... :D

I'm not very familiar with the suspension system as yet, so I will have to do more research. If anyone feels like it, is there a picture out there somewhere to point me in the right direction?

Thanks again!

Archived