CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Where the Caddy sleeps, work in progress

TDK

Ok then,

We decided to "Man Up" my youngest son's 3-car garage in his new house. We spent about $1,700 so far in Phase 1. His garage is a little less than 700 square feet, but the ceilings are 11' tall, which is really nice for overhead storage. In addition to the side yard and home entry man-doors, it has double and single garage-doors in front along with a 6' rear garage-door to the back yard, (very handy).

Tuesday of last week, I started by cleaning all the stull out and finishing off the drywall taping in various low or rough spots.

Wednesday, I sanded the seams, etc and applied texture to all the walls and ceilings. I also applied a "hammered metal" finish to some existing 1/4" pegboard. I installed a heavy-duty a 1.5" workbench top over convential cabinets, (to be hammered metal finish as well). The corner vise is even the same finish!

After Turkey Time, we applied 5-gallons of paint. We are not done painting by several gallons, but it was a good first coat.

Friday, I bought about $1,100 worth of "Gladiator" garage cabinets, rolling drawers and "Geartrack" slot-wall channel (for hanging whatever), around the entire perimeter. We assembled most of them that day and into the evening.

Saturday, we finished the cabinets and installed the Gear track around the walls. We installed a second row of 6" pvc 18" below to serve as a bumper for long tools, cabinets etc. It will also define the future painting design.

Sunday, we installed two 4' x 5' sections of Hyloft storage racks from the ceiling rafters. We also installed some vertical channels for wire racks for cleanings tools and supplies. This right-hand corner on the HVAC side will be the site of a wet bar, TV, media, etc, (whatever we can sneak past the Budget Queen [pictured with arms folded]).

All the cabinets and fixtures have a "hammered metal/granite" finish, even though they came from differant vendors.

We are looking for a good-quality epoxy or other synthetic-tip/mix floor finish. We want it in black-granite with tiny gold flakes throughout to match the kitchen counters.

I have the black latex gloss and silver glaze to faux-finish the lower portion of the walls with into the the same hammered metal look. Hopefully, I will also have the technique figured out as well.

The 18" portion between the Geartrack channels all around will be a dark "British Racing Green" (or maybe a Cadillac Red).

Phase 1 complete, (see the before/after pics). Flooring is Phase 2. We might just get to Phase 3 - if she doesn't kill us both when she sees the receipts from Lowe's!

th_DSCF2365.jpg

th_DSCF2368.jpg

th_DSCF2370.jpg

th_DSCF2394.jpg

th_DSCF2396.jpg

th_DSCF2397.jpg

As you can see, our '94 Caddy (that he drives daily and at over 200,000-miles ) rules the double bay.

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

yeah, I have 11 foot ceilings too. It would great to get everything off the floor except for my lawn mower and snow blower. I was planning to build a couple large overhead storage shelves someday. Just curious where did you get those overhead storage units? I like the track system too.

jasper

yeah, I have 11 foot ceilings too. It would great to get everything off the floor except for my lawn mower and snow blower. I was planning to build a couple large overhead storage shelves someday. Just curious where did you get those overhead storage units? I like the track system too.

jasper

Jasper,

The HyLoft overhead racks and the Gladiator Gear Track channels were all from Lowes, (or Lowes .com). They are a chain-conglomerate home-improvement store like Home Depot, but we liked their stuff better, (no plastic and the cool hammered-granite finish).

The flooring choices are more limited at these kind of stores (usually $62 epoxy kits for about 200 square feet in plain colors), so we may need to build the budget back up so to speak, (meaning apologize and then spend again). I am considering a Rhino-lining type of product that can be deep black and include some metallic flakes as well. Unfortunately, this may be another $2,000 hit at about $3.00 per square foot (if competative to interlocking tiles like RaceDeck, etc).

The Metallic walls up to the lower track and the racing stripe between the tracks are already purchased and will be Phase II: Intense Painting.

Staying low for now, but still scheming on Phase III: Fancy Flooring...

I may need to stay at his house for a while if (when) we do Phase IV: Wet bar, Screen and Media.

Later,

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

TDK,

thanks for the info.

My neighbor did the epoxy floor thing.

It turned out so great, he won't park his truck on it.

His garage is used mostly as a outdoor den in the summer.

It has a screen to keep the bugs out, TV, sofa and even a ceiling fan!

-jasper

Archived