CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

DTS vs Altima

BUICK11

I happen to be a old drag racer from the 1960.

In our stable of current cars we have a 2001 DTS that I thought was pretty quick especially out of the hole. The 2001 DTS was the first performance Deville in that year 300hp and something like a 3:70 axle ratio. Well I could never resist a little mano amano away from a stop light.

Just yesterday my DTS got beat pretty bad by something called a Altima V-6. That was all I saw on the back of the car as he pulled away up to about 60 MPH. Perhaps if we would have kept going the Northstar may have prevaled but did not want to risk ticket or accident.

Just wanted to share this bit of excitement.

Frank

Yeah those 3.5 Maxima and Altima are very quick little cars. 260 Horsepower and a 5 speed auto or 6 speed manual get them to 60 in about 6 seconds flat. An STS might be able to keep up but these cars need to shed a little bit of weight to keep up with that.

The brand new ones have about 270 horsepower I think (Altimas). The quickest turn sub-6 second 0-60 times. Nothing a stock Cadillac can touch.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

However, once the Northstar gets on the cam in second gear, it should pull right around. Unfortunately, that's about 80 mph.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

However, once the Northstar gets on the cam in second gear, it should pull right around. Unfortunately, that's about 80 mph.

I don't know...depending on the year and the particular magazine you read, you can find 1/4 mile times in the mid-to-high 14s at 96-99 MPH. That time is dead-even with what our cars do...and the speed is at least as quick. Just as our engines "get on the cam" when the speeds rise, those Nissan VQ35DE engines have real meaty torque bands, and those Altimas are relatively light. No comparison in terms of luxury/features obviously, but there are some relatively quick road-rockets out there in plain clothes these days.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived