CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

95 SLS runs bad

93shocarguy

Hello all. I'm new here, but am on my 3rd Cadillac. I bought a 95 SLS a week or so ago. The car ran TERRIBLE and I knew I had some work cut out for me. I'm by no means a mechanic, but thought I could tackle the basic stuff I felt this car needed. I put in new plugs and wires and the car is running a lot better, but it's still not right. It idles rough in gear and the service engine light comes on. The Northstar engine cover was in the trunk and when I put it on the other day, the car backfired. I got to looking and every time I mess with anything near the injectors on the passenger side of the car, this happens. The service engine light isn't always on. It takes a while of driving the car to come on. I took it to Autozone to have them read the code and it wouldn't come on while sitting and running in their parking lot. The car does not seem to miss out at all when reved up, and has pretty good top end power. Doesn't have much when just starting out. I cleaned the throttle body, but that hasn't made any difference. Is there a way for me to find out what the service engine code is without the light being on? Any help would be great. I like the car, but don't have a ton of money to spend, so the more I can do myself, the better off I am.

Get the codes yourself and post them here. Here's how:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Once you've done it once, you will be amazed at how easy it is. I check them while I'm driving just to break up the monotony, or while waiting at a long light.

The 1995 model year has some OBD I codes and some OBD II codes. If you have the OBD II system, the codes will be things like

PCM P0300 HISTORY

The three letters in the front tell which module detected the code. The letter and four digits are the code. Some 1995 OBD systems omit the letter but that is OK because the numbers themselves are unique for most codes, and for those that aren't unique the module identifier is what you need to know.

They flash only for a few seconds each and you may need to go through the process a few times to get them all written down and check them.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Here's a guess: P025 code indicating bad PCM? Are the symptoms as follows: Car has erratic idle and wants to stall, then it will adjust to compensate with rpms increasing to about 1200-1500? Just a guess--could be totally off base.

I got the codes and it indicated a faulty injector. I was going to pull the injectors and clean them good and then install them back in the car, however I found the 4 front injectors were not plugged in good when I went to remove them. I made sure they were all connected properly and vola, car runs perfect. It may not have needed the new plugs and wires, neither looked bad, but the car has 180k so I figure it didn't hurt anything. I haven't had a chance to clear the codes yet to see what happens, but the car now runs as it should and has the proper power.

also, if the fuel rail is plastic (black as I recall) ...that fuel rail will probably start to leak at some point unless it is replaced. There was a recall, so go to a dealer, give them the vin and they can look your car up. If it hasn't been done, they will do it for free...

i had my fuel rail replace on my 95 sls under the recall & 2 days after i got it back the fuel pump went go figure

Wiz DRIVE IT LIKE YOU own it!!!!!! 1967 chevy II ( FOR SALE!!!!) 1995 Lexus Es 300 1998 SLS

While your at it, clean the EGR valve and check the FPR for a leak.

And perform the Northstar critical change of coolant.

Trans fluid would be a good idea with that many miles.

Archived