CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

blown air bag on rear shock

MIke D

I have a hole in the airbag on the right rear shock. Unfortunatly I have the FE3 suspension and each delco one is about $500. Does anyone know if you can fix them or a less expensive place to buy them from... Any help would be great.

I'm also going to do tie-rods and a new set of front tires on her in two weeks.. Get her ready for the snow that's just around the corner... I need to move back to florida or texas...

Thanks in advance. Mike D

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

i got some from arnott i found them on the net they were pretty reasonable compared to the dealer. they seem to be working out fine so far

Wiz DRIVE IT LIKE YOU own it!!!!!! 1967 chevy II ( FOR SALE!!!!) 1995 Lexus Es 300 1998 SLS

I have a hole in the airbag on the right rear shock. Unfortunatly I have the FE3 suspension and each delco one is about $500. Does anyone know if you can fix them or a less expensive place to buy them from... Any help would be great.

I'm also going to do tie-rods and a new set of front tires on her in two weeks.. Get her ready for the snow that's just around the corner... I need to move back to florida or texas...

Thanks in advance. Mike D

If your car is in good shape, I would go for the active struts, spend the money. If your car is crappy in bad shape with high mileage, consider aftermarket struts, but BE CAREFUL, if Arnott is unable to sell you the electronics to suppress the Service Ride Control message, it will be more difficult to sell your car. I wish I used OEM.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Thanks guys... So I take it that the Arnots are not (that sounds funny) Active suspension replacements? I saw a set of monroe's that supposedly did the auto level as well but just dont believe it for $280 a pair.. I just sent Brasington an email and lets see.. I know my dad's price was $450 but he does not do the volume like these guys...

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Thanks guys... So I take it that the Arnots are not (that sounds funny) Active suspension replacements? I saw a set of monroe's that supposedly did the auto level as well but just dont believe it for $280 a pair.. I just sent Brasington an email and lets see.. I know my dad's price was $450 but he does not do the volume like these guys...

Aftermarket like Arnott and probably the Monroes are passive, meaning that they are not controlled by the suspension computer to firm up on steering maneuvors, higher speeds, and panic stops. They are designed to firm up mechanically based on road input and wont have an electrical connection

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Don't confuse ELC (Electronic Level Control) with RSS (Road Sensing Suspension). ALL Cadillacs have ELC. ELC is on the rears only. RSS is on all 4. ELC shocks just have a rubber boot that the compressor fills with air to lift the rear end. RSS has electronically controlled valves in the struts. MagnaRide is a little different.

The Monroes, according to the Monroe factory rep I spoke with, are electronic, and are direct replacements for the Cadillac struts.

Hmm that is interesting, so they are active, the price is substantially less

The Monroes, according to the Monroe factory rep I spoke with, are electronic, and are direct replacements for the Cadillac struts.

Their electronics may just be a resistor to fool the computer into thinking the damping servo is present - like Arnott uses. I'd verify what's really in there......

Mike D - Are you certain its the airbag and not a leaking air line? Those bags are tough.

Their electronics may just be a resistor to fool the computer into thinking the damping servo is present - like Arnott uses. I'd verify what's really in there......

Mike D - Are you certain its the airbag and not a leaking air line? Those bags are tough.

The bag has a wear spot on them... Looks like they went right through. I'll check the lines before I do replace it... Maybe I can get lucky..

I too am sceptical on the monroes. I would rather just go with delco then try them and find out otherwise...

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

I was able to find a Monroe part number for the (front) struts on my '98 but the small price difference between Monroe and ACDelco OEM was not worth it to me.

Good luck finding a source for OEM parts that is much cheaper than Brasington Cadillac-Saab (www.gmotors.com). I buy from them because you can actually talk to the parts counter guys and they ship when they say they will ship.

Brasington Cadillac-Saab

Parts Department

2001 N.W. 13th St.

Gainesville, FL 32601

Bill, Marty, Chris (and possibly others)

352-378-5301

800-535-4608

Have your VIN available.

Mention that you are asking for web-sales price quotes for out-of-state shipment (if you live outside of Florida.

Sales tax is the issue).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I just installed Monroe Sensitracs on my 92 deville. Advance has a buy 3 get one free for another few days. I've put off doing the struts because of all the posts about all the problems. Anyway, after installing the struts and rear shocks, the car rides great! NO fault light came on. It was easy. The shocks came with a repair instruction to cut the green wire #15 at the CCR, but I didn't need to. BBF I didn't keep the info, but, the guy at Advance took his time and looked up the appendix A or whatever. He was able to read it and tell me on the phone about the wire.

Surgery is now complete. New tires on the front to go with the new tie-rod's. A brand new $500 rear shock that took about 45 min to change. As always new parts "make" the car feel better. Whether it changed or not, I feel good. But now here is my new question.

How often does your air compressor kick on? I mean sitting still, car running but not driving yet. How long between the compressor turning off then back on to pump it back to level. Mine is about 1-2 minutes apart... The other side looked good and we did not hear any leaks but it could always be someplace we cant see..

Thanks again for all the help... Mike D

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

....How often does your air compressor kick on? I mean sitting still, car running but not driving yet. How long between the compressor turning off then back on to pump it back to level. Mine is about 1-2 minutes apart... The other side looked good and we did not hear any leaks but it could always be someplace we cant see....

My knee-jerk is to say you have an air leak somewhere.

Approximately 10 to 20 seconds after KEY ON, the ELC system will run a test that you can hear if you are outside the car at the rear. After the test cycle is complete, the compressor should not run again UNLESS you add more weight to the rear suspension load (as in two adults getting in the rear seats).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

• 1 month later...

I only have the ELC in the rear of my '97 Eldo. Both shocks have leaked the juice all over the place and I bought a pair of Arnott air shocks to replace them. Haven't installed the Arnotts yet, they look good, I'm impressed with the visual quality and I will do the install within the next two to three weeks. My car has only passive struts in front that also need to be replaced, don't have any idea what I'm going to use yet so suggestions are welcome...

If I had the RSS on all four wheels I'd use the OEMs. My car has 103.5K on it, is rust free and in ovwerall excellent shape so it is worth spending the loot on it to keep it so.

I'm saving my loot to buy a 'Vette and my wife is taking over the Eldo so it's gonna havta to be in showroom condition or I'll never hear the end of it... ;)

Archived