CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Sharing the road again

As a follow-up to this post http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=10446

I was on the same piece of Interstate today and a Toyota closed on me pretty fast when I was in a line waiting for a traffic bubble to dissolve (some fool up front was driving the posted limit in the left lane). I saw an opening to clear four or five cars by slipping into the right lane and dropping down a few gears. Darn if this Toyota doesn't glue himself to my bumper and follow me through the opening. I mean that Northstar was pulling hard up over 5,000 RPM!. And there he was! Staying right with me.

After a few miles, I found a clear spot and moved over to clear him to go on by me and realized it was the Avalon model. I was impressed with the performance he had and knew how to use. Gave him a thumb's up when he took an exit about 20 miles later.

You take your fun where you find it.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

An Avalon keeping up with an STS? I would change the air cleaner and check the cat and mufflers.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Well, a 2005/06 Avalon has a 5spd tranny, 260-280 hp, and a curb weight of 3600 lbs.

It should be able to keep its torque in the right powerband and keep up to you in traffic.

The car is not a slouch

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Had an avalon as a rental car in atlanta 1996. Was very impressed with the engine. 24v 6 (straight 6 I believe), turbine smooth to the 6500 redline, triple digits speeds effortlessly. Didn't buy one, but it was impressive and good looking at the time. Don't like the looks anymore. Its probably mostly driven by those who are more sedate in character, but in the hands of a more ambitious type ....

• 2 weeks later...

The new Avalon with 270 hp does 0-60 in 6.2 seconds and 1/4 mile in 14.8 at 96 MPH. Both of those times are at least as good as any stock Northstar. There are a LOT of cars out there today that'd clean house on our Cadillacs, in terms of acceleration.

Incidentally, the new Volkswagen Passat 3.6 posts even better numbers. 6.2 0-60 and 14.6 1/4 mile. We'd be conceited (and wrong) to think that we can automatically beat anything out there short of a Corvette or Ferrari.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived