CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

variety of small and odd questions

apache13

I have a variety of small and odd questions if anybody can help

1. I’ve checked all of the local salvage yards for a driver’s side interior door panel and junkyarddog.com; nothing so far. Most of the plastic clips are busted off mine and I have a slight tear running ¼ inch on the arm panel (most of the problem was caused by an impatient previous owner installing different door speakers). Does anybody have any additional suggestions of other sites to check? The dealership is an option but preferably the last option

-to push it, I’ve also been searching for a new shift handle.....

2. My driver’s side heated seat works fine but the passenger heated seat doesn’t. Whet the switch is turned on the light comes on (for the “hi” position and comes on for the “low” position) but nothing happens. I checked in the trunk fuse panel for blown fuses...nothing. Prior to removing the seat and troubleshooting, does anybody have a suggestion that I’m overlooking? I’m thinking it’s the heating element, but just want some other possible interpretations before I devote a Saturday to removing the seat.

-BTW, a quick visual inspection under the seat and from the back seat revealed no wires hanging down

3. Does everybody’s Cadillac (mine is a 97) that has a moon roof automatically close when the car is off? Is that controllable?

4. I electrically troubleshot the drivers’ side window switch assembly...assembly is bad. I received some pretty detailed instructions for troubleshooting the actual switch assembly (thanks again Jims_97_ETC for the assistance!). Question- The junk yards have few Eldorados and it just occurred to me that the Riviera may have the same switch assembly, are they interchangeable? If not then I’ll order it from this link provided by Jims_97_ETC

"http://www.newcadillacparts.com/cadillacparts.htm" target="_blank">http://www.newcadillacparts.com/cadillacparts.htm</a>

5. Does anybody have fold-down seats in their Eldorados? I thought my car was pretty much “top of the line” with just about every option...but no fold-down seats included :( It’s nice to have the extra space if needed.....you put those seats down and there you have within reason a pickup truck.

AND LAST

6. I had a new 6 disc CD player installed in the trunk a month ago because I was missing the cartridge for the stock Bose system (which I couldn’t find anywhere, didn’t check dealerships though). The set-up I have is the stock unit deck installed on the right side/passenger side and the new unit mounted to the roof of the trunk towards the left/driver’s side. I have this small unit (the size of a cell phone) mounted via Velcro on the dash (under the "lip" of the dash). To listen to any of my CD’s, I have the station programmed at 98.9FM and the dash-unit on....a radio signal is sent from the trunk to the unit like a radio station. Per the guys at CarToys, this was the cheapest set up in order to maintain the steering wheel controls for the radio (I’m addicted to those controls, so easy to flip through stations during traffic). The audio installer left the old Bose unit mounted and connected (so if I choose ‘CD’ and have a cartridge in place I can still use the unit if I wanted to) and told me they couldn’t remove the unit because of the car’s security features...I’m sure there’s a way to trick the car (by shorting the stock system’s signal monitoring-> the input and output or putting some dummy load inline) into thinking it’s still installed. Can I remove the old unit problem-free or do I need to rig it/have it rigged? Was the audio technician correct or misinformed (or lazy)?............Has anybody run into this issue? I really have no need to remove it but it just annoys me sitting there....

Thanks everybody for helping out with suggestions or comments! The pass heatd seat, drvr wndw switch assmb, and poss stock unit dsc chngr removl along with some code analyzing will constitute my Saturday. THANKS AGAIN!

2. Regarding the heated seat, there is at least one heated seat relay under the seat that controls the heating element. My old '97 Seville's passenger seat would "buzz" for a minute sometimes when you pressed the switch. If you turned it back off and on again, the buzzing would stop. I believe it was a relay.

3. The moonroof in my '01 STS does, but it's not a factory roof. It's made by Webasto-Hollandia and will close automatically when the engine is turned off. If you press a position button before it closes, it'll return to that position and stay there (if I want to keep it open).

5. They do not have folding seats. Two reasons...it compromises rear structural rigidity...and many of the electronics are mounted on the back of the seat behind the hush panel.

6. You can unplug the stock CD changer and remove it with no issues. You can also add a CD changer to a car that didn't have one with no issues. It's totally "plug and play". I added a CD changer to my old '97 Seville w/o Bose and it recognized it just fine and it worked with the steering wheel controls, etc.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

2. Regarding the heated seat, there is at least one heated seat relay under the seat that controls the heating element. My old '97 Seville's passenger seat would "buzz" for a minute sometimes when you pressed the switch. If you turned it back off and on again, the buzzing would stop. I believe it was a relay.

3. The moonroof in my '01 STS does, but it's not a factory roof. It's made by Webasto-Hollandia and will close automatically when the engine is turned off. If you press a position button before it closes, it'll return to that position and stay there (if I want to keep it open).

5. They do not have folding seats. Two reasons...it compromises rear structural rigidity...and many of the electronics are mounted on the back of the seat behind the hush panel.

6. You can unplug the stock CD changer and remove it with no issues. You can also add a CD changer to a car that didn't have one with no issues. It's totally "plug and play". I added a CD changer to my old '97 Seville w/o Bose and it recognized it just fine and it worked with the steering wheel controls, etc.

Do you have to remove the seat though to access the relay? In my case probably yes to do anything- I can barely get a quarter that fell under the seat! I haven't been getting any buzzing but I'll keep that relay in mind. when I pull the seat.

Yeah I always have to press the button twice for the moonroof to stay open....no way to override that?

The not having folding seats makes sense with that fuse panel being mounted to the back wall (or the roof of the trunk, wherever it is mounted). When I was checking the fuse for the pass heated seat, I was literally curled up laying in the trunk with a flashlight accessing that fuse panel LOL

I haven't even tried unplugging the stock disc changer yet, was unsure what would happen. When I get home this evening I'll unplug it

-Thanks alot for the help JasonA!

Seat: You probably do have to remove the seat to access the relay. I believe my buzzing was the relay -- if your problem is the relay, but you're getting no buzzing, it may just be shot. I suppose you'd have to use some electrical diagnosis to see just how far up the line (to the heater) the current is getting. If it gets past the switch, you know that's good. If it gets past the relay, you know that's good -- and the problem is then most likely the heating element itself. As I understand, it's embedded into either the cushion or the leather cover -- and not replaceable separately (read: expensive). I'm hoping it's either the switch or the relay in your case.

Moonroof: So I guess yours is a factory moonroof? Or not? That wasn't clear from your post. If it's a factory moonroof, I don't know how they operate.

Disc changer: Just unplug it first. The ONLY difference you should see is that you can no longer select "CD" using the < SOURCE > button. Other than that, it should operate normally, and you'd be free and clear to remove the changer. My recommendation, though, would be to get the cartridge for the OE CD changer. You'll get better sound quality instead of going through an FM transmitter and there won't be any interference with a radio station if you travel. I know it's water under the bridge now, but even from the dealer, the cartridge was only about $45 if I recall, which is likely cheaper than your aftermarket setup.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The factory sunroof doesn't close itself. I always wanted to rig mine to open with I turned the ignition.

Try Craigslist for the door panel - put this in the google window: craigslist "cadillac eldorado" parts

I've seen some door panels come up in the past. Find out which years your door panels interchange to - there's probably many years to choose from.

Your seat problem is most likely a burned out heating element. Somewhat common and replaceable, but you do have to remove the leather and cut out the element. Someone here did it and posted pictures.

For parts try http://www.cadauto.com

that's odd...I have the factory sunroof (not aftermarket)....and whenever the car is turned off there is a 5 second delay and the roof closes automatically unless you press the switch twice....maybe it has an aftermarket motor or something...whatever it is I'm not going to look into it any further...I was just more curious than anything.

while I was at my mechanics shop (for the EOS and quick o2 look), I got a call in from one of the caddy salvage yards...they have a driver's side panel that matches my interior color in great condition and also an available driver's side switch assembley. I'll head down there tomorow to pick them up. thanks everybody for their input of where to find some parts and some clarification on some other thngs :)

2. My driver’s side heated seat works fine but the passenger heated seat doesn’t. Whet the switch is turned on the light comes on (for the “hi” position and comes on for the “low” position) but nothing happens. I checked in the trunk fuse panel for blown fuses...nothing. Prior to removing the seat and troubleshooting, does anybody have a suggestion that I’m overlooking? I’m thinking it’s the heating element, but just want some other possible interpretations before I devote a Saturday to removing the seat.

-BTW, a quick visual inspection under the seat and from the back seat revealed no wires hanging down

This is from my '98, but I'd expect (hope) it to be the same as yours. Maybe it will help . . . .

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/WBuc...atedSeatsRH.gif

Regards,

Warren

EDIT: Removed the compressed image and replaced it with a link to the uncompressed version.

HeatedSeats.rtf

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

This is from my '98, but I'd expect (hope) it to be the same as yours. Maybe it will help . . . .

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/WBuc...atedSeatsRH.gif

Regards,

Warren

EDIT: Removed the compressed image and replaced it with a link to the uncompressed version.

Hey thanks for the schematic and flow chart...I copy and pasted them on my computer and printed them out. The 98 seat should be identicle to th 97...just incase it isn't I'll make a post. Thanks!

-Anthony

I always wanted to rig mine to open with I turned the ignition.

You MUST live in the warm climate :D I live in Ohio. My sunroof is almost PERMANTLY closed <_<

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

I always wanted to rig mine to open with I turned the ignition.

You MUST live in the warm climate :D I live in Ohio. My sunroof is almost PERMANTLY closed <_<

90% of the time when I use the sun roof I just vent it. When I park I leave it vented also to freshen my car up (I'm a smoker)

Archived