CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cadillac Redux: 1995 vs. 1998 ESC

WarrenJ

I asked this question some months back and didn't get any satisfactory answers. So I thought I'd try it once again.

My '95 Eldorado was something of a whore. It had a very wicked torque-steer and violently shifted second gear with a chirp and smoke of the tires (with the stick in 2nd @ WOT). Also the exhaust note was pleasantly loud.

The current '98 steed is much more mild mannered. The torque-steer is minimized, as is the exhaust note. Additionally, it does a sloppy shift into 2nd gear even when the stick is in 2nd (maximum line pressure).

Is this normal for a '98?

Regards,

Warren

P.S. Looking for a 2001-2002 Eldorado. Must be pristine.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

From my experience with my 1997 with four different tire types, I can say that torque steer depends on the type of tire. If you have a very sticky tire that can still slip, such as the OEM Goodyear RS-A, then you will get torque steer on WOT and a chirp. If you have a less sticky tire such as the Michein AS (I forget which type, but the dealer told me it was OEM for BMW), they will both lose traction when the engine gets on the cam and you won't see much torque steer. In fact, the traction system may not engage.

Another factor is wheel alignment. In FWD cars, elimination of torque steer depends on matching caster between the front wheels, and the steering axis, which is the strut axis on a strut suspension, must pass through the tire patch. If there is a mismatch in caster, or if one of the wheels has a camber that makes the center of friction off the center of the tire patch, you will have torque steer.

My current Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires are too sticky to chrip in the 1-2 shift on many surfaces. In that case, the shift is smooth but firm, and quick.

I would have the wheel alignment checked and corrected if necessary. On my next set of tires, I would look at stickier tires, particuarly if traction and handling are most important to you.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

"Additionally, it does a sloppy shift into 2nd gear even when the stick is in 2nd (maximum line pressure)."

It's been a while since I've been on this site - So please excuse if this has already been said: There is a TSB for this. There was a known bad-run at the factory of machined parts for the accumulators. Your accumulator for 1-2 shift may be leaking (explains slow shift?). (Note: you won't see tranny fluid leaks outside your car if this part leaks becasue its internalized and returns leaked fluid back to where it's needed). It's apparently an easy fix (or can be depending on problem) and is addressed by AJXtcman on http://www.cadillacforums.com as a thread. He covers all of the TSB with pictures of how it leaks and new redesigned GM parts that solve the issue. Who knows, maybe you just need to sand the cover flat of your 1-2 shift accumulator housing because it is warped.

The thread also indicates shift kits are available in either mild, med, and hard shift strength for 4T80Es.

Anyway, I agree with the tire thing and torque steer/chirping though (a sticky tire sings a different tune). :mellow: Good luck.

No, this steed has been happily codeless since I've owned it. Simply an outstanding car (as was the '95)!

Tires are Michelin Symmetrys and I have no reason to suspect anything wrong with the alignment, although I've never had it checked.

To clarify: the 1-2 shift is relatively firm, but it's not the slam-bang neck-jarring chassis-rattling 1-2 shift the '95 had (WOT, stick in 2nd). Maybe that's a good thing. :P I suspect Cadillac changed the tranny tuning, but I'll look into that TSB about the accumulator.

Some good info folks. Thanks!

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived