CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Factory Planning: 2010 RWD Large Sedan, CTS Coupe, CTS Wagon

Bruce Nunnally

The UAW revealed today as part of detailing the new contract conditions that GM agreed to 15 new product starts in factories which the UAW represents.

The items that are of interest to Cadillac fans:

Detroit/Hamtramck, Mich. — Buick Lucerne and Cadillac DTS continue until 2010, Global Delta MPV7 beginning in 2009, Global Delta Volt beginning in 2010, Global Epsilon Chevrolet beginning in 2012.

Lansing, Mich., Grand River — Cadillac CTS, Cadillac STS and Cadillac SRX continue through 2009, Cadillac CTS wagon and Cadillac CTS coupe beginning in 2009, Zeta products (two styles) beginning in 2011.

Bowling Green, Ky. — Corvette and Cadillac XLR continue until 2011, Corvette and XLR replacement product beginning 2012.

I read this to mean that:

a) DTS FWD ending in 2010

B) DTS/STS replacement RWD on Zeta platform begins in 2011 and moves to Lansing Grand River

c) CTS station wagon and CTS coupe in 2009 -- we knew they were coming, but I thought we would only get CTS-V in 09.

Having more Cadillac production at Lansing Grand River is good I think.

"Zeta products (two styles) beginning in 2011" I assume means the Lucerne and the DTS/STS replacement, but we'll see.

No mention of where the BRX, a smaller SUV, is coming from, unless it is in Spring Hill; it is on the theta/epsilon platform:

Spring Hill, Tenn. — Chevrolet Lambda continues through 2012, Theta Epsilon SUV beginning in 2011, next-generation Chevrolet Lambda replacement product – demand and business-case dependent beyond 2012.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

A CTS Coupe???? How about a CTS-V Coupe! :bluesbrothers:

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Lordstown, Ohio — Chevrolet Cobalt and Pontiac G5 continue through 2009, Global Gamma 4-door notchback beginning in 2010, Global Alpha (2 styles) beginning in 2011.

Ah -- someone else pointed out that the "Global Alpha (2 styles) beginning in 2011" <--one of the two styles is the smaller-than-a-CTS BLS.

The Alpha platform is based on the kappa convertibles (Solstice/Sky), but larger.

Bruce

Zeta is a large Rear Wheel Drive Global platform. All the new large sedans on the way will be on Zeta.

Alpha is a small Rear Wheel Drive Global platform.

Platform in this context is what I would call the chassis. For example, the CTS, SRX, and STS are all on the Sigma platform,

although the STS uses a longer wheelbase and they have different overhangs ahead and behind the axles.

The new Zeta platform is either an evolution of the Sigma platform, or a new design out of the same Holden staff, but allows even more variability in length.

The new CTS is on Sigma II as opposed to zeta; Sigma is the Mid-size RWD platform. The next DTS/STS sedan will be on zeta, as will other

large RWD GM models. Sigma cars have control arm front suspension and a multi-link rear suspension.

Zeta is more like the G/K cars, in that they will have McPherson strut front suspension and 4-link independent rear.

The current DTS and Lucerne are on the K platform.

Alpha is based on Kappa, which is a smaller version of the Corvette/XLR Y platform, mixed with zeta to make

a larger hybrid than the current Kappas (Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky, Opel GT).

None of this matters particularly, except that knowing what platform future cars are planned on tells you more about

how the vehicle will turn out. Big car fans should enjoy the Zeta platform cars that are on the way.

Bruce

Archived