CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Help with 2000 DTS

95SevilleSLS

Well, I got a DTS. BUT, I have a lot of problems. I bought this through a dealer that bought it from a dealer (long story). In other words, I bought it without looking at it or test driving it. I had thought I got a pretty good deal since it was $6,900 for it. It books for over $11,000. I get to it tonight and there are a few dents on the passenger side, not too bad, but still very noticeable. The passenger side window doesn't work also, I had to duct tape it shut. I Look inside and the instrument panel is cracked. I also see a orange light on the bottom right hand corner but ignore it. I take off after the paper work is done and check coolant level comes on and service suspension system. I was thinking oh great. I went to walmart and got some antifreeze put it in. I started it and it still said check coolant level STILL! I decided to just take off and I decide to check out this mysterious orange light. The jacks asses put electrical tape over the check engine light! I was pissed off. That's why the cluster was cracked. Also, I tried the night vision and that just sits there and says "night vision" but never displays a picture. Anywho, enough venting, I need some help with some codes. Here they are:

ABS U1056 HISTORY

TPM B0159 CURRENT

B0429 HISTORY

IRC U1301 HISTORY

NAV B0001 HISTORY

B2463 HISTORY

NDH B1004 HISTORY

U2151 HISTORY

Now for the real problems:

PCM P0386 CURRENT - Crankshaft Position Sensor B performance

P0443 CURRENT - EVAP Purge Solenoid Valve 1 Control Circuit

P1258 HISTORY

RSS C0630 CURRENT - Right Rear Position Sensor Malfunction

Are crankshaft sensor hard to replace?

Do I have to replace the whole rear right shock?

What the heck is that P0443 code?? This is the one that keeps coming back and throwing the light. I checked the gas cap, that is tight.

PLEASE help! It's a lot of problems, but the car is VERY pretty. I'll post pictures later. HELP!

-Dusty

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

is the surge tank at the proper level? you said the message did not go away after adding coolant. maybe the sensor is bad. or you are real low? when you get a CEL, most people continue to drive since they don't know whats wrong. but a low coolant message is not hard to figure out. put some in! crank sensor replacement is awkard but not bad if you like to crawl under the car. or pay someone to replace it.

I said that I put some in. I put almost a gallon in and it was all the way to the top of the surge tank. Where is the coolant level sensor? Do you have to drain the oil to take the crank sensor out? Where exactly is it located? How about this P0443 code? Could that actually be the purge solenoid valve on the intake manifold?

ACDELCO Part # 214646 {replaces 214-639 #01997279}

VALVE,EVAP EMIS CNSTR PURGE SOL LOCATED AT INTAKE MANIFOLD-INCLS SEAL

$18.40

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

The crank sensors are located near the oil filter adapter. Do not mix them up, draw a diagram, they are different colors and the plugs that attach to them are different colors.

If you remove the bottom inspection panel you should be able to see them. Taking out the oil filter adapter might make it easier to get at them. I have had my oil filter adapter out twice. Buy new oil filter adapter seals.

Here is the oil filter adapter with the seals in place

OilPressureSwitch005.jpg

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The coolant level sensor is in the tank and is not serviceable. The tank must be replaced. The correct level is about half full.

P0443 - EVAP Purge Solenoid Valve 1 Control Circuit

This one will take some diagnostics unless you just want to throw parts at it.

Might want to hit Ebay and find a FSM.

On the bright side, since book value is 11-grand it's worth putting some money into it as long as there's no major problems. If you spend $1,000 - $1,500 working out all the problems than you still got a good deal. ;)

I get to it tonight and there are a few dents on the passenger side, not too bad, but still very noticeable. PLEASE help! It's a lot of problems, but the car is VERY pretty. I'll post pictures later. HELP!

-Dusty

Hey Dusty,

Take a deep breath!

Is there any warranty expressed or implied?

How about fraud? Was the car misrepresented...? ina ny way... you may have a case they

don't want to make to the papers... we have 5 on your side...TV channel 5 goes after unscrupulous dealers...

When and if you get to the dents in the door... consider paintless dent removal.

It will be cheaper and may save time too!

i've seen the results... cannot even tell!

just thought

good luck..

jim

I get to it tonight and there are a few dents on the passenger side, not too bad, but still very noticeable. PLEASE help! It's a lot of problems, but the car is VERY pretty. I'll post pictures later. HELP!

-Dusty

When and if you get to the dents in the door... consider paintless dent removal.

It will be cheaper and may save time too!

i've seen the results... cannot even tell!

just thought

good luck..

jim

What is paintless dent removal? Are you referring to the suction cup dent removal--I bought a suction cup removal kit--the one that advertised on TV--is that the one you're referring to?

Besides the suction cup type, they have a type whereas a puller is 'glued or affixed' to the surface that it pulls the sheet metal using a frame.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

First, you should look for a Factory Service Manual...FSM. Don't waste your money on a Haynes type. For the problems you have it'll be worth it. Start looking on ebay right away.

Give us some idea how good a mechanic you think you are.

Reset the codes and see what comes back. Low batteries set false codes and if it's been sitting a few might be false.

Paintless dent removal also includes professionals who go in behind the panel and carefully work out dents. They can be cheaper than regular body shops depending on the repair. Look in the phone book and get some estimates.

I agree, take a deep breath...

Zonie is right about paintless dent removal. They sometimes market themselves as "dent doctors" or whatever... some of them are really really good. Much cheaper. I was very pleased, the couple times I needed them.

The guy that did mine had a whole Yukon full of angled rods & bars that he worked in behind the panel, and pressed & dragged across the spot from the inside.... and wa-la, gone...

• 2 weeks later...

Okay! I got some stuff figured out on my DTS. I figured out what the code PCM P0443 was. I had a loose connection on my purge solenoid. That was easy to fix. My passenger side window needs a regulator, I bought one on ebay and will fix it this weekend. I need a height sensor on the rear right.

I decided not to fix the height sensor because it doesn't act up all the time. I am not fixing the dents because it's going to cost me about $1800 to fix them.

I won't have night vision, the lense is broke on the outside and the camera is shot. I just rigged up my own emblem.

My drivers side heated seat elments are both burnt out. I dont' really feel like spending $400 to get that fixed.

I cleared the crankshaft position sensor code and it hasn't come back. I'm guessing it was replaced and the codes were never cleared.

The only other thing that I would like to fix right now and am having a lot of troubles trying to figure out is when I first start it when it's cold, it idles REALLY rough like it has a miss. Then after about 20 seconds or if I take off driving with it, it will run just fine. I have no PCM codes and no missfire codes. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, when I turn right (and only right) I get a weird rubbing/clunk noise. It is worse the faster I go and not even noticeable at slow speeds. The more I have my wheel cranked and the more bumps I go over it does it worse. It's not rubbing on anything. What could this be?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

I cleared the crankshaft position sensor code and it hasn't come back. I'm guessing it was replaced and the codes were never cleared.

If it was working the DTC will go historical after 3 ignition cycles with no fault detected. It will clear itself after 50 ignition cycles. The fact that the codes was stored means it has failed at least in the last 50 ignition cycles (assuming it was a historical code).

It was probably replaced then. Have any idea on the crappy idle or the weird rubbing noise?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Noises are hard to diagnose without hearing them, but it sounds like it might be a CV joint.

Rough idles at start up is symptomatic of a leaking head gasket. Not as likely on a 2000, but do a cylinder pressure test to rule it out. Might also be a leaky FPR.

That's what I thought. Head gasket problems were pretty much elminated in the 00s. But I have reason to suspect that this one is bad. When I first got the car, I had a overheated engine code and I had to add about a gallon or so of antifreeze. I noticed that the plastic cover over the radiator right in front of the engine was melted back and broken from heat. I didn't think anything of it until now. Overheating can cause premature head gasket failure, correct? My FPR is fine, so that wouldn't be it and I have noticed other symptoms. Someone also had told me that sometimes if you have a bad head gasket, you will lose heat at idle and then it will come back with RPM increase. My seville doesn't do that, but the deville does. It would probably be a simple fix sense it's probably just the head gasket and the bolts probably haven't been pulled out of the block. But I'm sure it's still a pain in the *smurf*. Never buy a car from Minneapolis, they drive like morons over there.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Okay, I know you guys don't like pouring stuff into your coolant system to try and fix northstar headgasket problems, but I thought what the heck because it wasn't caused by the normal northstar bolt pulling out of the block (back in the 90's obviously). So I put a bunch of gold seal in. One day later, my shaking stopped when I started it when it was cold. I don't know how long it will last and I don't know if it sealed it completely, but it's nice not to be shakin apart when I start my deville.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

I figured it would be. That's fine with me though. I'm going to try some stronger stuff that you have to flush the coolant out. I planned on flushing it anyway, so I'll just do it then.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Archived