CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

pitcock

MrEl01

I need to replace the waterpump on my 01 ETC. Of course, the first step is to drain the radiator. But I cannot acess the pitcock in order to do so. Would someone please tell me an easy way to do this. There is no way I can reach it either from the top or bottom side and my hand is not that big. There is just not enough room to grab it and give it a twist. I hate to sound like I am incapable, but I've never worked on a Cadillac before.

Duff

Get a 6" long piece of 3/4" dowel rod and cut a 1/8" wide slot in the end of it. That makes a very effective tool to oopen and close it.

You can disconnect the lower radiator hose and get most of the coolant out. This gives you a convenient place to put the pellets when you go to fill it back up, too.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Job done. Thanks Larry, I thought about doing something like that , but due to time restrictions and patience (lack of) I did what Jim suggested. Just got back from seeing my daughter before she returns to Ft. Drum, N.Y. after her leave. No leaks !!

Duff

If your Eldorado is like mine, there's a plastic panel on the underside, just behind the radiator, that is held in with 3 screws... if you remove that, it gives you some room....

Obviously, the job is done now, but for future reference...

Thanks Patrick, yes I knew this. I did remove it but it did not give me enough room to get to the pitcock. The suggestion that Ranger gave is really a good one and I plan on implementing that next time. My time was the biggest problem, I really wanted to get that job done so I could see my daughter before she left. Experiance is the best knowledge and I gained some, next time with Larry's idea, it should be easier as well as a whole lot less messy.

Duff

Archived