CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Oil light comes on occaisionally

I have a 98 Eldorado.

Only when my wife is driving (ahem), does the oil light come on and the info center dings and says low pressure. Ten minutes later I take it for a 20 minute drive and it does not happen. My mechanic did mention a little oil leak under the engine around some sending unit but it could be changed in the future---maybe during an oil change. The car never gets hot and there is never any valves clicking.

I hope it is whatever sending unit is described and I have heared dry valves clicking before and the engine is as quiet as can be expected.

Does it sound like it is this sending unit???

From past posts it is usually the oil pressure switch. Be sure to replace it with an A/C Delco switch. After market switches may cause the same problem.

To be clear, oil level can effect oil pressure, but normally these are two different things. Oil Level has a separate sensor on the NS, and will show as "Low oil Level" at 1.5 quarts low or so. Low oil pressure is normally either the sensor, as Ranger mentions, or the pickup for the oil pump or the oil pump itself is not working properly. Usually you will not get low enough oil level to cause low oil pressure without causing other indicators first I think.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I had a similar problem with my 1996 El Dorado. I came to believe it was mostly the effects of 130,000 miles on the engine and it just wasn't as tight as it once was. My pressure light would flicker - especially when it was hot and the oil thined out a lot and at idle or during easy (ladylike?) driving...

I switched to 10W40 in the summer and the problem went away immediately.

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

I had a similar problem with my 1996 El Dorado. I came to believe it was mostly the effects of 130,000 miles on the engine and it just wasn't as tight as it once was. My pressure light would flicker - especially when it was hot and the oil thined out a lot and at idle or during easy (ladylike?) driving...

I switched to 10W40 in the summer and the problem went away immediately.

Yes, I have the same problem. At idle the light does flicker on and goes out as soon as RPM's pick up. Yesterday the temp here in Florida was about 92 ambient. If I remember correctly my old Mercedes was designed to reduce the oil pressure at idle---I thought perhaps the Eldorado was the same. I tend to use 30 weight oil for topping off in between oil changes.

You might try changing the oil pressure switch, it is attached to the oil filter adapter.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived